George in Georgia

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2010
Jonesboro, GA
Is there any way to hasten the dissolving of granular CYA? Could it be dissolved in hot water? I'm trying to raise my CYA level for my salt system. Slow going. Water temp about 65F.

Also I saw at Leslie's just above the granular CYA some liquid called Natural Chemistry Instant Water Conditioner Here's a link: http://www.lesliespool.com/natural-...ditioner--1-gal/07401.htm?suggest=conditioner It sounds too good to be true, and the text doesn't say how long it is effective. Anyone know anything about it?

I built a rapid CYA dissolver. I have a Harbor Freight sump pump I use for various tasks around the pool. I made a chamber from 4" ABS pipe with a 4" slotted drain cover at the end. I put a sock in the chamber, filled with granular and within a couple of hours the CYA is gone. I do it that way so I don't have a jury rigged system blocking my narrow deck walkway to hang a sock in front of a return, but for speed, that works almost as well too.

I guess I do not see how speeding up the process is important ... and certainly not worth the added cost to buy the liquid form.

I've got some algae, and without a reasonable CYA it is my understanding that the need for bleach will be greatly increased. While the water is a little cooler than we like, I'd like to see progress on the algae front, especially since we seem to have a neighborhood snoop who will trespass to peek over a 6 foot board fence or use Zillow to spy on us and the pool and report us to Code Enforcement for a green pool. Grrrrr.....

- - - Updated - - -

I built a rapid CYA dissolver. I have a Harbor Freight sump pump I use for various tasks around the pool. I made a chamber from 4" ABS pipe with a 4" slotted drain cover at the end. I put a sock in the chamber, filled with granular and within a couple of hours the CYA is gone. I do it that way so I don't have a jury rigged system blocking my narrow deck walkway to hang a sock in front of a return, but for speed, that works almost as well too.

Not a bad idea!

Actually, the liquid is produced from the granular form. One basically adds lye to the cyanuric acid solid to produce sodium cyanurate, but to keep it in a slurry this needs to be done with special mixing and temperature.

Either a sock over the return or a T-shirt or other cloth in the skimmer works well. For me, adding it into a cloth in the skimmer has it dissolve rather quickly though you are limited with how much you can do at a time and you need to make sure there are other suction flows to the pump since you don't want to prevent all suction.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.