Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid CYA??

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid CYA??

Is there any way to hasten the dissolving of granular CYA? Could it be dissolved in hot water? I'm trying to raise my CYA level for my salt system. Slow going. Water temp about 65F.

Also I saw at Leslie's just above the granular CYA some liquid called Natural Chemistry Instant Water Conditioner Here's a link: http://www.lesliespool.com/natural-c...st=conditioner It sounds too good to be true, and the text doesn't say how long it is effective. Anyone know anything about it?
    This email is a natural hand-made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and in no way are to be considered flaws.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liquid CYA??

Put the granular in a nylon and hang it in front of a return. With the pump running, massage it. It will be gone in no time.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski View Post
    Put the granular in a nylon and hang it in front of a return. With the pump running, massage it. It will be gone in no time.
    I do that and it does help. I wonder how the liquid CYA is manufactured; my guess is that the granular form is produced from a liquid. How to reverse the process, that is the question.
    This email is a natural hand-made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and in no way are to be considered flaws.

4. Back To Top    #4

I guess I do not see how speeding up the process is important ... and certainly not worth the added cost to buy the liquid form.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I built a rapid CYA dissolver. I have a Harbor Freight sump pump I use for various tasks around the pool. I made a chamber from 4" ABS pipe with a 4" slotted drain cover at the end. I put a sock in the chamber, filled with granular and within a couple of hours the CYA is gone. I do it that way so I don't have a jury rigged system blocking my narrow deck walkway to hang a sock in front of a return, but for speed, that works almost as well too.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I guess I do not see how speeding up the process is important ... and certainly not worth the added cost to buy the liquid form.
    I've got some algae, and without a reasonable CYA it is my understanding that the need for bleach will be greatly increased. While the water is a little cooler than we like, I'd like to see progress on the algae front, especially since we seem to have a neighborhood snoop who will trespass to peek over a 6 foot board fence or use Zillow to spy on us and the pool and report us to Code Enforcement for a green pool. Grrrrr.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gtemkin View Post
    I built a rapid CYA dissolver. I have a Harbor Freight sump pump I use for various tasks around the pool. I made a chamber from 4" ABS pipe with a 4" slotted drain cover at the end. I put a sock in the chamber, filled with granular and within a couple of hours the CYA is gone. I do it that way so I don't have a jury rigged system blocking my narrow deck walkway to hang a sock in front of a return, but for speed, that works almost as well too.
    Not a bad idea!

7. Back To Top    #7

Sounds like you need a booby trap as much as you need CYA.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Actually, the liquid is produced from the granular form. One basically adds lye to the cyanuric acid solid to produce sodium cyanurate, but to keep it in a slurry this needs to be done with special mixing and temperature.

Either a sock over the return or a T-shirt or other cloth in the skimmer works well. For me, adding it into a cloth in the skimmer has it dissolve rather quickly though you are limited with how much you can do at a time and you need to make sure there are other suction flows to the pump since you don't want to prevent all suction.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

9. Back To Top    #9

As soon as you put the CYA in the sock in the skimmer, assume it is in the water and start to SLAM. With some squeezing, it will be out of the sock in a day.

If you follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process by testing often at the start, you should see improvement in a day as well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!