Thinking of getting a new pump. Best bang for buck?

JGDUSC

Jun 10, 2013
Gilbert SC
I have a 1.5hp single speed 120v plug in now. (Hayward SP1580X15 Power-Flo LX Series). Thinking I would like to get something a little more efficient. I know the two speed would be an improvement. Do they make a variable speed for AG? I ran an extra leg so going to 230 wouldn't be a problem. Thanks for any suggestions.

BTW second year of opening to a crystal clear pool thanks to this site! I am a believer. :D

Any suggestions for finding the correct one? Does hayward have some cross reference? Depending on the price, for a few bucks more is it better to buy the complete 2 speed pump and save this one as a backup? Is now the time to change voltages? Thanks again.

Most 2-speed motors are 230V ... but in this case looks like you can get them in 115V.
You need a 48Y frame motor that has the same HP and SF listed on your motor ... on option is the BN50

Exactly what I was looking for. Great starting place. I think I would wire it to 230 but have to check on manual timer to see how that works. Any down side to a motor swap? Do I need new seals or any other parts? Relatively easy process or one easily messed up? Just trying to factor in frustration.

Assuming there is no variable speed option for AG? I know they are definitely pricey. Just wondering. Seems like they all had pricey electronic timers and speed adjustments that may not like sitting outside. None of them suggested they could be used to AG.

You will need to replace the shaft seal when you change the motor. It is not difficult is you can remove some bolts and hook up some wires. A little tricky to get the impeller off, but a strap wrench helps.

You could use the VS pumps on a AG pool, although like I said, unless your power is extremely expensive, that is not going to be the best bang for the buck.

Just doing some googling this AM. Thoughts on this one - A.O. Smith BN34V1 1 Phase 1.5 HP 230V. Not sure how many options there are. Looked up the manual and it cross referenced http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SPX1515Z2ES-Switch-Replacement-Filters/dp/B004VTGFHI. Don't see a listing as to whether or not its 120/230. Could it be the same as the BN50 you mentioned above. Couldn't find a picture of the label to reference.

Maybe I don't need the 230v. Just thought it would be

After further discussion with Hayward Tech support( the internet and me knew more than him), I am leaning towards the Hayward SPX1515Z2ES. The 115v pulls 11/2.9 amps and the 220v BN34V1 runs 9.5/1.9 amps. I can't tell if the BN34V1 comes with a switch for the two speeds? Also a concern is winterizing. I just unplug mine now and take it in. What do you do if you hardwire or do they make a weather proof quick disconnect? For the difference I say the convenience of what I have now staying at the 115v may be best? Thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A quick look seems that you could go with the BN50 (115V) or the BN34 (230V) ... with the same HP and SF ... the power of the motor should be the same and thus the amp draw of the 230V would be half that of the 115V motor. Bottom line, they will use the same amount of power so I am not sure why your are worried about switching to 230V.

Follow up.

I installed the new motor and seals Saturday AM. Battle to get the impeller off. Had to take the armature out and put in a vise. Rewired and finally re-plumbed.

Using my Kill-A -Watt meter I measured the old pump at 9.73 amps and calculated it used .72kwh/hr at $.13/kwh. Running two 4 hour cycles a day, I calculate $.75/day. $.75*30.5 days=$22.875/mo. 6 month season here so $137.25 per season using the old motor.

Using the same formula(pls let me know if I messed up), the Kill-a-Watt shows .12Kwh/hr on low speed which calculates to $3.81/mo and $22.84 for the season. Upgrade cost me 230 bucks so payback is gonna be pretty quick assuming my math is right.

Pretty cool. Wish the new pool step install had went as smooth. Love the steps but the whoever wrote the instructions should forced to come to the purchasers house and put them together for the rest of their life!

And the new Aquabot jr seemed to do a good job on its inaugural voyage. Hopefully all these new enhancements will make this truly the year of the trouble free pool. Thanks for the help!

It was rainy but we still managed to do all that and put three ton of rock down around the pool. Skirted at tornado in the area yesterday and all I could think was please don't mess up the pool after all that hard work ha ha. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.