My water readings...help!

Sep 29, 2014
Bluffton/IN
I have a ColorQ (inherited from previous owner) and this is my first go around with this. Here is some data, hope it makes sense but need some help balancing.

In ground concrete pool
SWG

FCL- 1.06
TCL- 1.12
br- 2.6
Ph- 6.6
Acy- 19

My SWG reads 4800 ppm down from 5000 a day ago (Not sure how to get down)

Well, to start, the Color Q tests are notorioius for being incorrect. They go bad with age, and if you inherited them, well.. who knows?

If you want to have a troublefree pool, the best investment you could possibly make is to have a good test kit.
TFP recommends either the Taylor K2006 or the TF100. either one are available at www.tftestkits.net as well as other places online.

Without really accurate numbers, which Im sure teh color q isnt providing, Im rather reluctant to make recommendations for what to do. If the color q is wrong, then things would just be worse.

Here is a list of recommended levels
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/134-recommended-levels

I would strongly recommend clicking on the Pool School button and start with the ABC's of Pool Chemistry so you can have some idea of what each thing is and does.

And a handy tool to determine how much of what to add, is Pool Math. Very handy deal...
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Welcome to TFP!

+2 on Divin Dave's advice. Get a good kit, post up some readings and we'll be glad to help. I would not trust those, especially given the unknowns.

While you are waiting, check out the ABCs in Pool School for a strong start.

Since you should not use the SWG for the SLAM process ... no, the salt level does not impact the SLAM.

But, you should likely replace water (like 20-25%) to lower the salt to an acceptable range before doing the SLAM.

Actually, what SWG do you have? Some will continue to work at high salt levels. Are you getting any error message on the SWG? If not, you may not need to replace water.

How much salt did you add and when did you put it in ?? Did you test for salt and then add enough to reach a goal ??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maybe I am wrong....It is probably my test kit. Here are some pictures as to the progress at these levels....This represents 5 days

Before-
0410151610_zpseryggwms.jpg

After-
0413152011_zpsxynrt6rg.jpg

IMG Links added by Mod Patrick B

February, I looked at the pics and while there, I copy/pasted the IMG link for each photo making them show up here. Easy to do when you want to show pics on the forum, and you can add all you want this way.

Looking much better without a question, so you are moving in the right direction for sure.

Re: New kit first readings. Need help

How about a little background about the pool?
Is this a fresh fill? Are you just opening it after the winter?
What does the water look like?
Have you added any chemicals?
Was the CYA test completely clear?

Just found your old thread and merged them. Please keep related questions together. Thanks, jblizzle.

- - - Updated - - -

Add 10ppm of FC using bleach and retest FC and CC in 30+ minutes and report back.

Swg in ground
Opened a few weeks ago and added shock and salt. Pool had a crack so fixed that and restarted pump. Pump running 24/7 for nearly a week. I didn't have a good test kit until now

Pool water is blue and cloudy. Swg reads 4200 ppm

Cya was a little cloudy but could still see dot

- - - Updated - - -

How much bleach is that? 28k gal

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.