Cold Water Temps and False Salt Rerading

May 5, 2008
Louisville,KY
I have the Circupool si-45+ and when I fired it up for the first time this year it ran for a few minutes and immediately went into a low salt, check cell mode. My water temp here in Louisville is only about 61 degrees according to the Circupool readout. This unit continously shows the salinity on the readout. It says 3000 ppm. You can scroll through the menu and get a instant readout of the current salt level. The readout on there shows 0000. I tested my salt level with a test kit and it showed 1400 ppm. I am curious if the low temp of the water has any bearing on the actual level of the measuring of salt in the pool. I closed last year at 3000 ppm. Unit was installed last July and performed flawlessly through the rest of the season. Did not do any significant draining of the pool during the winter. The check cell readout has a feature where it flashes every 3 months for inspection. It currently shows a solid light. The current levels show the unit is not producing chlorine, which is normal based on the current salt level.

Yes, low water temp has caused my SWCG to give false low salt errors and false low flow errors. It is supposed to be OK above 60, but mine isn't really consistent until mid-upper 60s. I use bleach until all my lights stay green and my FC starts to rise consistently over several days to a week. Two years ago I put WAY too much salt in my pool trying to correct the low salt error.

If you are confident in the 3000ppm number then add enough to bring it to 3400 or so. Give it a day or two to fully dissolve.

I think 3000 is the default on the screen when the unit is "off".

As you push the button and scroll through the various readings, the reading at the end is the accurate one. After that the default reading in the window is an average. 1400 is way too low to generate, and maybe so low it's 0000 as far as detection goes.

Also, if you are in generating range you should see your voltage climbing up and stabilizing around 26 volts if your salt is a bit low but "doable".

My guess is that you'd be safe with starting with four 60 lb bags of salt to see where you end up. NOTE: to be on the safe side, shut off the generator when you add this much salt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.