Does the concrete truck cause damage to your driveway?

Sunbaby

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 27, 2015
Centerville, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Hey guys - I have a pretty long driveway - nice concrete with no cracks ;) I started thinking about how they access your backyard. I assume it will be okay for them to drive heavy equipment up my driveway? Right? Or will a concrete truck crack it? Any experience? I think I am over-thinking everything, but figured I would ask you guys . . .

Don't know what the project is, but I wouldn't allow a full size concrete mixer on a typical 3 1/2 inch thick concrete drive. A concrete truck could absolutely crack it....

If enough yardage is required, I would think they would be considering pumping the concrete, anyway....

If the driveway is 4'' (3 1/2 as ewkearns correctly pointed out) thick, it will support the weight of a normal car or pickup with relative ease. A dump truck or concrete truck... maybe... but that's a big maybe. It would depend upon the grade of concrete, rebar vs mesh, and probably a hundred other things I'm not even considering.

Were it my driveway I would say no. As ewkearns said a pump truck or maybe a conveyor (like this monster) or get the local highschool/college football team and a bunch of wheelbarrows :)

Hey guys - I have a pretty long driveway - nice concrete with no cracks ;) I started thinking about how they access your backyard. I assume it will be okay for them to drive heavy equipment up my driveway? Right? Or will a concrete truck crack it? Any experience? I think I am over-thinking everything, but figured I would ask you guys . . .

Sun: I wouldn't allow it either. We did, and I truly regret that decision. We now have a crack.

sounds like you should consider getting a pumper truck. How long is it from where the truck can come safely to where you need it placed ??

And if you have any irrigation pipes under the driveway, .... a concrete truck will crack the drive without a doubt and possibly break the irrigation pipes under it.
A pumper truck or a motorized concrete buggy are the best options. Check on pricing and availability of a pumper truck. Those can get really pricey, depending on how far it is from the truck to the pool. The motorized buggies may be the most cost effective, but you'll have to check.

They used the motorized buggies for mine. I do not recall there being an extra cost for the buggies, but the pumper was going to add about an extra grand for mine. They laid down plywood the whole way to the back yard so as not to damage the grass. Pretty cool to see how good they were driving them

So I am not good with distance - but it seems pretty long as far as driveways in a subdivision go. I will have to go measure the concrete to see how thick it is. Is there a way to tell if there is rebar or mesh in the concrete? Here is a pic of the driveway. I asked a couple neighbors that had pools put in - and they said the pool co drove all the way up on the drive with no problem - but I am a worrier. I guess I need to ask my PB - I am looking on the contract and I don't see anything about it . . .House.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The gunite truck should park in the street and pump the gunite through a hose. You driveway may sustain light damage during the dig phase when the bobcat or other diggin machine is travelling back and forth with payloads of dirt to haul away. Our dig was at least 100+ trips from the backyard to the front.

The damage if any is really minimal. I noticed some small cracks on my driveway but nothing crazy, hardly noticeable.

Your backyard will look as if a bomb went off at least for a couple of months. We went through an emotional rollercoaster happy, sad, frustrated, worried.

In the end it will all work out and you will be happy you built a pool!!:swim:

Thank you guys! I just sent a message to the PB to ask how they do it - and if I have to - I will pay more to have them stay off of it. So MUCH to learn!

Not a chance you should let the concrete truck on your driveway. Like was said earlier, if gunite, it will be hose pumped from the road. For the concrete for the patio around the pool (assuming you are not using stone or pavers) most likely they will just use a bobcat's bucket to drive the concrete back and forth. The bobcat or buggy will damage your yard, but that is much easier to fix than cracked concrete.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.