Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does the concrete truck cause damage to your driveway?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does the concrete truck cause damage to your driveway?

Hey guys - I have a pretty long driveway - nice concrete with no cracks I started thinking about how they access your backyard. I assume it will be okay for them to drive heavy equipment up my driveway? Right? Or will a concrete truck crack it? Any experience? I think I am over-thinking everything, but figured I would ask you guys . . .
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does the concrete truck cause damage to your driveway?

Don't know what the project is, but I wouldn't allow a full size concrete mixer on a typical 3 1/2 inch thick concrete drive. A concrete truck could absolutely crack it....

If enough yardage is required, I would think they would be considering pumping the concrete, anyway....

3. Back To Top    #3

If the driveway is 4'' (3 1/2 as ewkearns correctly pointed out) thick, it will support the weight of a normal car or pickup with relative ease. A dump truck or concrete truck... maybe... but that's a big maybe. It would depend upon the grade of concrete, rebar vs mesh, and probably a hundred other things I'm not even considering.

Were it my driveway I would say no. As ewkearns said a pump truck or maybe a conveyor (like this monster) or get the local highschool/college football team and a bunch of wheelbarrows
    14,000 Gal IG Pool/500 Gal Attached Spa
    Pentair Whisperflow 1hp Single Speed Pump
    Sta-Rite Posi-Flo PTM-135 Cartridge Filter
    Hayward H400 Natural Gas Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes it could. They are extremely heavy.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbaby View Post
    Hey guys - I have a pretty long driveway - nice concrete with no cracks I started thinking about how they access your backyard. I assume it will be okay for them to drive heavy equipment up my driveway? Right? Or will a concrete truck crack it? Any experience? I think I am over-thinking everything, but figured I would ask you guys . . .
    Sun: I wouldn't allow it either. We did, and I truly regret that decision. We now have a crack.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

sounds like you should consider getting a pumper truck. How long is it from where the truck can come safely to where you need it placed ??
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

And if you have any irrigation pipes under the driveway, .... a concrete truck will crack the drive without a doubt and possibly break the irrigation pipes under it.
    A pumper truck or a motorized concrete buggy are the best options. Check on pricing and availability of a pumper truck. Those can get really pricey, depending on how far it is from the truck to the pool. The motorized buggies may be the most cost effective, but you'll have to check.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8

They used the motorized buggies for mine. I do not recall there being an extra cost for the buggies, but the pumper was going to add about an extra grand for mine. They laid down plywood the whole way to the back yard so as not to damage the grass. Pretty cool to see how good they were driving them
    Steve ~16K IG Vinyl Pool, Hayward TriStar 1.5 hp, Hayward S244TE filter, Polaris 280 w/booster pump, Prologic PL-P-4, Hayward AquaConnect, 3 PAL LED lights, 3 Deck Jets, AquaComfort ACT 1100 heater and TF-100 Test Kit with SpeedStir.

9. Back To Top    #9

So I am not good with distance - but it seems pretty long as far as driveways in a subdivision go. I will have to go measure the concrete to see how thick it is. Is there a way to tell if there is rebar or mesh in the concrete? Here is a pic of the driveway. I asked a couple neighbors that had pools put in - and they said the pool co drove all the way up on the drive with no problem - but I am a worrier. I guess I need to ask my PB - I am looking on the contract and I don't see anything about it . . .House.jpg
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

10. Back To Top    #10

I would not take the chance. An excavator cracked the corner of our driveway, which had rebar.
    39' x 18' IG 3.5X4.5X9 34k gallon w/ raised spa, 3 stone scupers
    Jandy 60 SqFt DE, Jandy PDA PS6, Jandy JXi400 heater, Jandy 2.0 EPump w/SVRS
    A&A Manufacturing ICS w/G4 venturi heads
    2 incandescent lights in pool, 1 in spa.

11. Back To Top    #11

The gunite truck should park in the street and pump the gunite through a hose. You driveway may sustain light damage during the dig phase when the bobcat or other diggin machine is travelling back and forth with payloads of dirt to haul away. Our dig was at least 100+ trips from the backyard to the front.

The damage if any is really minimal. I noticed some small cracks on my driveway but nothing crazy, hardly noticeable.

Your backyard will look as if a bomb went off at least for a couple of months. We went through an emotional rollercoaster happy, sad, frustrated, worried.

In the end it will all work out and you will be happy you built a pool!!
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

12. Back To Top    #12

My PB specifically advised against having the concrete truck drive on our driveway or in our yard. I think it added $500 to our contract to use the pumper truck for the concrete decking.
    16x24 shotcrete pool with plaster; ~ 11,000 gallons; Hayward MaxFlo XL 1 hp pump; Hayward Pro-Series Top Mount Sand Filter; Hayward Turbocell SWG; Hayward ColorLogic LED light; Hayward AquaPlus Automation Panel; TF 100 Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Thank you guys! I just sent a message to the PB to ask how they do it - and if I have to - I will pay more to have them stay off of it. So MUCH to learn!
    ~Wendy

14. Back To Top    #14

But, but, but you have us to help you! So all is GOOD!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

For REAL! This site is an obsession for me now!!!
    ~Wendy

16. Back To Top    #16

do not allow a truck on that long driveway, you will regret it! A pumper truck is the way to go for sure!
    Chris - aka cwescapexlt4x4
    (Build 8/26/14 - 10/17/14) in-ground Presidential Pools 15K gallon salt water pool Pentair Inteiliflo pump, Regal Blue Pebble, Clean & Clear filter, in-floor cleaning,
    LED light, 3' sheer spill, 2 benches, large Baja step. / Pergola by Booth Built 19W x 14D // Outdoor Kitchen, W/Primo grill and BBQ Coach kit for the island.

17. Back To Top    #17

It was a $1400 up charge for me to do a "shuttle dig". The heavy trucks can crack your driveway usually along the edge where they exit/enter.
    Building: 30'x15' freeform w/spa and waterfall, 16k gallons, AA Quikclean in-floor cleaner and Quikskim, Pentair Easytouch 8 w/IC40 SWG, Intellabrite lights and bubbler, Sta-rite Intellipro VS, Sta-rite 2HP Waterfall pump, Sta-rite 400k gas Heater

18. Back To Top    #18

Not a chance you should let the concrete truck on your driveway. Like was said earlier, if gunite, it will be hose pumped from the road. For the concrete for the patio around the pool (assuming you are not using stone or pavers) most likely they will just use a bobcat's bucket to drive the concrete back and forth. The bobcat or buggy will damage your yard, but that is much easier to fix than cracked concrete.
    IG W/Vinyl Liner Oval 18x40, 21K gal, Oval 3'-8'
    Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Sand Filter

19. Back To Top    #19

They should be able to pump that from the street through a hose. Don't see any reason why they would have to get any closer.
    43 x 19 Gunite Pool w/ spa and fire pit, 19,000 gallons, Pebble Sheen Aqua Blue finish, Jandy 2 HP VS E-pump, Jandy 580 sq ft Cartridge Filter, Jandy LXI 400k Heater, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, 4 Jandy LED color lights, Aqualink PDA and Iaqualink, Polaris 280 with Booster Pump. Polaris 9550 Robot Cleaner. 1 HP Silencer Air Blower for Spa http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...NAL-INSPECTION

20. Back To Top    #20

During the dig the bobcat will create a path of dirt from the hole site to the awaiting dump truck, the dirt road will help minimize the damage to the drive way, also the bobcat should have this rubberized tracks vs. steel tracks.
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast