Leslie's- any point?

Some sell Liquid, but not all, so you'll have to check.

Last time I asked them why they don't sell it here while they do in other places, they said because of our dry climate in West Texas. Something about it killing the Chlorine too fast. :hammer:

Leslie's, like the chemicals they sell are not evil in and of themselves. Don't buy anything due to scare tactics or "junk science".

Like Patrick said, check the prices of what you need as it may be a place to buy some things.

I was in a local pool store last week and really felt sorry for a guy. I watched the, test his waster and walk him around the store filling a shopping cart. At a distance I could see a large bucket of pucks, algecide and clarifier. In addition to those there were several bottles/tubs of Bioguard products. I hate to think what he paid.

Hey, I admit it - it is fun to go there sometimes. I had them test the water and she wanted to sell me 48 pounds of Balance Pak 100 because she said my TA was too low (it isn't). Here is what Bioguard says about the product.
Use Balance Pak 100 to maintain total alkalinity. Proper total alkalinity prevents pH from "bouncing" due to rain, bather load, and other chemical application. This helps prevent pool staining, plaster etching or liner wrinkling due to improper pH.

For raising total alkalinity
Prevents pH change
Improves swimmer comfort
Prevents corrosion due to improper pH
Protects vinyl liners from wrinkling due to improper pH

Some sell Liquid, but not all, so you'll have to check.

Last time I asked them why they don't sell it here while they do in other places, they said because of our dry climate in West Texas. Something about it killing the Chlorine too fast. :hammer:

But Patrick, you just don't understand the intricacies of maintaining a pool in this highly complex region of the world. What with all the dryness outside of the pool and wetness inside of the pool. You are going to have to use some of this magic potion to keep the dryness out of the wetness and vice versa. :-D

We only have a couple small Mom&Popish pool stores around me. I like to go in and look around from time to time. But knowing what I have learned here, I don't let myself get sucked into the sales pitch. Knowledge is power. I am really glad I found this site so early in my pool adventure!

I buy my bleach (10%) and MA (31.45%) there. The price per ppm (ppppm???? :scratch:) is pretty much the same as Walmart or CostCo 8.25% bleach and the KemTek at HD/Lowes has been hit and miss for me. At least with Leslie's, I've never had a problem with old or weak bleach. The MA is just a matter of convenience. I buy a month or two supply of bleach and every 3rd or so purchase I buy a case (2 - 2gal jugs) of MA.

I have a leslie's right around the corner from me but I will no longer take my business there. I instead make a longer drive to another store that has very helpful & knowledgeable employees. I've noticed recently at Leslie's that none of the workers their have a clue about the chemicals they sell or what equipment they sell (this quite possibly could be this individual store though). Most of the Leslie's in my area have 1 person working, so you will be ignored if the phone rings.

I have to say - I bought a house with an AGP about 3 years ago and I had NEVER had a pool before - I am sure I could have done it cheaper on my own and with less product - but I didn't have the confidence, knowledge OR this site yet! Leslies kept my pool great. When I moved in - I tested about once a week (at Leslie's) - most of the time they said my water was fine. I started going further and further in between testing - like once a month - and would end up getting cloudy - would take it in -and they would tell me how to fix it. Last summer I had an algae breakout - it took over a week - but they helped me get that fixed too. Now, maybe I just have a good store near me - or just good luck - but they were a lifesaver for me.

I just took my AGP down and am beginning a new pool build soon! I have to go through pool school with my builder (required) - and I will follow their guidelines for the first few months (and until all my chemicals are gone) - then I plan on switching to the BBB that I learned on here. Tiny bit scared - but excited to save some $

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.