Time for a through-the-wall skimmer

Does a skimmer work with a solar cover on the pool? I am thinking that it doesn't. I always have the cover on unless we are swimming. I have been thinking about adding a skimmer but not sure if it is worth the trouble.

It will still draw water and particles suspended in it, but won't pull in much floating debris from the surface, since most of the surface is covered. My solar cover has about a 1" gap from the edge, so it does still pick up some stuff floating right near the sides of the pool.

It will still draw water and particles suspended in it, but won't pull in much floating debris from the surface, since most of the surface is covered. My solar cover has about a 1" gap from the edge, so it does still pick up some stuff floating right near the sides of the pool.

So the only time a skimmer will work is when there is no solar cover on the pool. I like the idea of a skimmer but it doesn't make sense if you use a solar cover. I can walk around with the hand skimmer and get what is in the pool when we are swimming. I like having the pool covered as I think it makes the pool less inviting to the derelicts in my neighborhood.

So the only time a skimmer will work is when there is no solar cover on the pool. I like the idea of a skimmer but it doesn't make sense if you use a solar cover. I can walk around with the hand skimmer and get what is in the pool when we are swimming. I like having the pool covered as I think it makes the pool less inviting to the derelicts in my neighborhood.

It will still work as well as the standard submerged intake on one of these pools, but it loses much of it's effectiveness to skim debris floating on top of the water when a solar cover is in place. There's really no drawback to installing one, unless you just enjoy skimming by hand.

It will still work as well as the standard submerged intake on one of these pools, but it loses much of it's effectiveness to skim debris floating on top of the water when a solar cover is in place. There's really no drawback to installing one, unless you just enjoy skimming by hand.

Of coarse it will still intake water. It seems to me that it will lose 99.9% of its effectiveness to skim debris floating on top of the water when the solar cover is in place. The draw back would be time and money on the installation for no gain. When I take the solar cover off to go swimming, I will have to skim by hand anyway. Unless I wait a couple of hours for the skimmer to do its thing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I second what POPPA S said in that you won't regret installing the skimmer. I have had several AG pools and this is my first with the skimmer installed which does a great job at clearing debris. I also use a solar cover frequently and the skimming is reduced but once the cover is rolled up the skimmer quickly clears the pool.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...32-x-16-x-52-quot-AG-Pool?p=666491#post666491

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.