Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Time for a through-the-wall skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Time for a through-the-wall skimmer

Any recommendations for which Hayward skimmer will work? Or does it matter?

My pool is the 16x48 Intex Ultraframe.

Hayward only seems to have 1 skimmer on their site, there seems to be more floating about on the internet.

Hayward's site:
    http://www.hayward-pool.com/shop/en/...-abg/dyna-skim
    16x48 Intex Ultraframe vinyl AGP, 2150 gph sand filter/pump (Intex SF70110), Hayward Skimmer, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Time for a through-the-wall skimmer

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the link! Ordered and will be here Friday!
    16x48 Intex Ultraframe vinyl AGP, 2150 gph sand filter/pump (Intex SF70110), Hayward Skimmer, TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

This thread contains some pictures of my Hayward Dyna-skim installation. I have the same pool as you do.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/showthread.php?t=73741
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

5. Back To Top    #5

you won't regret it
    16 'x 48" Metal Frame Intex 5065 gallons, 14 Inch sand filter,Hayward Skimmer SP1091LX Dynaskim, Test Kit TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Does a skimmer work with a solar cover on the pool? I am thinking that it doesn't. I always have the cover on unless we are swimming. I have been thinking about adding a skimmer but not sure if it is worth the trouble.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

It will still draw water and particles suspended in it, but won't pull in much floating debris from the surface, since most of the surface is covered. My solar cover has about a 1" gap from the edge, so it does still pick up some stuff floating right near the sides of the pool.
    Pentair IC40 SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post
    It will still draw water and particles suspended in it, but won't pull in much floating debris from the surface, since most of the surface is covered. My solar cover has about a 1" gap from the edge, so it does still pick up some stuff floating right near the sides of the pool.

So the only time a skimmer will work is when there is no solar cover on the pool. I like the idea of a skimmer but it doesn't make sense if you use a solar cover. I can walk around with the hand skimmer and get what is in the pool when we are swimming. I like having the pool covered as I think it makes the pool less inviting to the derelicts in my neighborhood.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by 1380ken View Post
    So the only time a skimmer will work is when there is no solar cover on the pool. I like the idea of a skimmer but it doesn't make sense if you use a solar cover. I can walk around with the hand skimmer and get what is in the pool when we are swimming. I like having the pool covered as I think it makes the pool less inviting to the derelicts in my neighborhood.
    It will still work as well as the standard submerged intake on one of these pools, but it loses much of it's effectiveness to skim debris floating on top of the water when a solar cover is in place. There's really no drawback to installing one, unless you just enjoy skimming by hand.
    Pentair IC40 SWG

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post
    It will still work as well as the standard submerged intake on one of these pools, but it loses much of it's effectiveness to skim debris floating on top of the water when a solar cover is in place. There's really no drawback to installing one, unless you just enjoy skimming by hand.
    Of coarse it will still intake water. It seems to me that it will lose 99.9% of its effectiveness to skim debris floating on top of the water when the solar cover is in place. The draw back would be time and money on the installation for no gain. When I take the solar cover off to go swimming, I will have to skim by hand anyway. Unless I wait a couple of hours for the skimmer to do its thing.

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks! I bookmarked some already, and I'm adding yours to them.

12. Back To Top    #12

I second what POPPA S said in that you won't regret installing the skimmer. I have had several AG pools and this is my first with the skimmer installed which does a great job at clearing debris. I also use a solar cover frequently and the skimming is reduced but once the cover is rolled up the skimmer quickly clears the pool.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...491#post666491
    AG-Intex Ultra Frame 32 ft x 16 ft x 52 in, Water Capacity (90%): 14,364 Gal, Hayward SP1091WM Dyna-Skim Above Ground Pool Skimmer Kit
    Intex 2650 GPH Sand Filter Pump & Salt Water System CS20110
    3/4" Extruded Polystyrene Foam Board Insulation, Gorilla Floor Padding
    Borated sparkle added