Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex Sand Filter vs. Intex Cartridge Filter (with Unicel filter) for 18x48 AG pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex Sand Filter vs. Intex Cartridge Filter (with Unicel filter) for 18x48 AG pool?

Hello,

Starting ground prep for a new 18'x48" Intex Ultra frame. I was planning on getting the 2800 GPH Intex sand fileter/pump combo for $136 delivered from Amazon. However, the 'school' portion of this site says that cartridge filters can be better. In know the Intex cartridges have a bad reputation, but I understand that the Unicel brand are great. My question is, the 2800 GPH sand filter or an 2500 GHP Intex cartridge filter with Unicel filters--which would serve me better? The pricing is close enough, that cost isn't a factor for me. I just want to get what is best both in filtering ability and longevity.

2800 GPH Intex Sand Filter, $136 + sand: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GSPHS1U/...N2EPXKIY&psc=1
    2500 GPH Intex cartridge filter, $95 + filters: http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Krystal-...rds=intex+pump

The pool will come with a 1,500 GPH cartridge filter, but I'm planning on not even using it.

I'm leaning toward getting the sand filter.

Thanks for any thoughts that I should consider.

Jason
    AG Intex Ultra Frame 18x48 - new for '15. TF100 test kit. Intex 3,000 gph sand filter/pump, Solar Cover, Intex magnetic pool light, Hayward Skimmer, Laars 250kBtu/hr NG heater. Intex SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex Sand Filter vs. Intex Cartridge Filter (with Unicel filter) for 18x48 AG po

From what I have read here the Intex sand filter is quite a bit better than the Intex cartridge filter. But, I have no first hand knowledge.

Congrats on the new pool!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Intex Sand Filter vs. Intex Cartridge Filter (with Unicel filter) for 18x48 AG po

Get the sand filter, won't be disappointed
    Intex Ultra Frame 18' x 52"
    Intex 3000 gph Sand Filter Pump, Intex Salt Water System SWG
    Hayward Thru Wall Skimmer and stock return line
    Two Hayward I lets
    Florida/Alabama

4. Back To Top    #4

Sand filter.

The 2500 carts don't allow enough flow rate as it comes from the factory. With the cart filter, you'll need to have extra carts on hand soaking in cleaning solution for a quick change out when dirty.

You will lose less pool water with the carts, but that is offset by the greater use of water for rinsing the carts.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I've used both - sand filter all the way. Less hassle and does a better job in my opinion.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation