Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: did I almost kill myself?

1. Back To Top    #1

did I almost kill myself?

Cleaned the cartridge filter today, and inexplicably, I forgot to open the air release valve before taking off the belt and trying to take the top of the filter off. (Of course I didn't forget to turn off electricity to the system.) Finding it difficult to take off the too, I suddenly realized what I did, and I opened the valve. Cleaning went as planned.

Just how bad WAS that, and how lucky am I to be typing this? How big a catastrophe did I avoid?
    13,000 Gallon IG Double Roman End with Steps PebbleTec Seafoam Green Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter 320 1 HP Sta-rite pump (MPR6E-147L) TF-100 test kit Kreepy Krauly Cacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: did I almost kill myself?

Nothing catastrophic with that. All you were doing was trying to open a sealed chamber. Pulling off the top makes the chamber larger, so in essence making the chamber larger, which creates negative pressure. Without releasing the pressure you would have needed superman strength to pop off the lid.

Getting the lid back on square and lining up the V band when your done is the bigger challenge
    J.R.

20K IG gunnite pool
    2HP Hayward single speed pump
    Cartridge filter

3. Back To Top    #3

If you have compressed air in the filter, the top can come off quite violently. It could potentially cause serious harm.

4. Back To Top    #4

But the pressure is relieved the instant the pump is turned off ... Right? As long as the pump is off there should be no danger.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Pump off/no pressure/no danger.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

6. Back To Top    #6

If the pump was off, you were just pulling it against a vacuum. When I turn my pump off my pressure gauge goes negative because of the water trying to return to the pool.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

In most cases, with the pump off, the pressure goes to zero to slightly negative. So no real risk. I have seen people try to remove the top with pressure, which can be dangerous.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks everyone!
    13,000 Gallon IG Double Roman End with Steps PebbleTec Seafoam Green Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter 320 1 HP Sta-rite pump (MPR6E-147L) TF-100 test kit Kreepy Krauly Cacuum