nature 2

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

For pools, they aren't helpful since the copper and zinc can stain plaster surfaces and algae can be prevented with chlorine alone (at the appropriate level -- see the Pool School). For spas, they work in conjunction with non-chlorine shock (MPS) if you want to use a mostly non-chlorine, non-bromine method for disinfection. You still need to use chlorine on occasion since MPS doesn't keep the water as clear as chlorine.

I use chlorine, If I read your post correctly they are of no value to me...correct?
Yep. Plain old bleach keeps algae at bay AND kills germs and bacteria that Nature2 doesn't. If you want an eyeful, use the search box for Nature2. There are some horror stories about the mineral packs breaking and filling the pool with metal pellets, and lots and lots of threads about metal stains and green hair.

Have you checked out Pool School yet? ABCs, How to Chlorinate, and Recommended Chemicals will show you how simple it can be.

You'll want to read Using Chlorine in a Spa since I presume you may be using Dichlor-only and that will build up Cyanuric Acid (CYA) over time making the chlorine less effective. If you want the water to last at least twice as long between water changes and stay in good shape, then you'll want to start out using Dichlor until the CYA gets to 30 ppm or so and then switch to using bleach. However, after switching to using bleach you'll need the TA to be lower and should use 50 ppm Borates. This will help keep the pH more stable. About once a month you'd use Dichlor for a day to make up for some CYA that is lost. Read the article as it should give you the details.

Can nature2 be used without MPS as a backup to chlorine-after-soak? I think chem geek said somewhere that the silver ions alone should prevent bacteria from multiplying, but can't handle bather waste. Main reason I'm wondering is for when I'm out of town and not using the spa but can't add chlorine.

It's a weak backup, but sure if you want to use it that way you can. The best is to maintain an FC level at all times, but it's true that if it drops too low or to zero that if there's silver ions in the spa then that should inhibit bacterial growth. Of course, you could just see about using MPS instead since it won't deplete as quickly as chlorine and that would provide greater disinfection capability so be less risky of things going south. It's easy to switch back and forth between using MPS vs. chlorine or even having some of both at the same time. It's just that MPS will measure as chlorine in the tests, but with Nature2 it doesn't really matter since both act as a disinfectant (at least at hot spa temperatures, for MPS; chlorine does well even in colder temperatures).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.