Need to re-tile my waterline tile in my gunite pool.

Jul 22, 2008
Is this something I can do myself or should I leave it to a professional?
I do have experience laying bathroom and kitchen tile.
I have located the tile I want to utilize at a local pool tile store and it matches the exsisting tile.
What kind of mastic (thinset) and grout is required to compelete this project? is it the standard stuff sold at Homedepot and Lowes?
Sanded grout or regular grout?
I'm assuming I need to grind or sand down the area where the old tile was located before I spread the new mastic (thinset) with a proper sized trowel?
I dont need to replace ALL the tile, just approx. a 4-6 ft linear section.
Should I consider replacing all the tile including the exsisting tile around the skimmer throat?
Also, I have been told I need to place a thin piece of bendable wood in some fashion to hold the new tile in position till it adheres. How exactly do I do that and more importantly, how do I secure that in place so it remains in place till the new tile has adhered?
One more question. What is the average life expectancy of pool plaster. I've heard everything from 6 - 20 years depending on pool water chemistry and local weather conditions. I'm wondering if I should pay a professional do do both jobs at the same time. If I go that route, how much can I expect to pay for a 10,000 gallon pool with no spa involved?
Thank you.

I'll answer a couple of those questions.......

If you have tile experience, you can tile your pool.

It's standard installation......... use a latex modified thinset as you would use in a normal install.

Do the whole job.....the new tiles and grout won't match perfectly and you'll regret you "patched" it.

Use sanded grout if your grout lines are less 1/8" or wider.

duraleigh said:
It's standard installation......... use a latex modified thinset as you would use in a normal install.
I worked as a tile layer in my younger days and still do quite a bit of tiling (although not professionally anymore). I agree with using a latex modified thinset as duraleigh suggested. I would just like to add that "thinset" is supposed to be a mortar mix and not a mastic. Mastic is not really good to use on much, and never good to use around water (doesn't work very well with floor tile either). Some mastics are marketed and sold as "pre-mixed thinset", so beware. Real thinset is typically Portland cement based and only comes in dry powder form and needs to be mixed with water or other liquid additive. It does not "dry" as mastic does, but rather cures by chemical reaction.

Beware of what some of the people at the big box store tell you. I have found them to be very uninformed (much like some of the pool store people).

As for pools (I've never done tile in a pool so take this with a grain of salt), I would imagine the hardest part might be removing the old tiles and thinset to create a base to lay the new tiles. Outside of a pool, this is typically a messy job so I can imagine how it would be inside of a pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.