Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aquabug just sulks in the corner

1. Back To Top    #1

Aquabug just sulks in the corner

I bought a new Hayward Aquabug. It worked one time, now it just makes a beeline for the corner and sits there and sulks.
    Thought it was the pump pressure - it was running about 5. But after clearing my outflow strainer the pump is back running at 10psi and still the aquabug does nothing but sulk in the corner.
    Any ideas? I have a good pump, no air in the strainer, leaf canister is clear, ring on the aquabug spins freely.
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex SF60110 2450 GPH Sand Filter
    Intex CS8110 SWG
    Aquabot AJET121I Pool Rover S20-40

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aquabug just sulks in the corner

Sorry, no idea on this. Maybe a bump will get you an answer.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

The problem could be that the cleaner is trying to fight against the underwater current. I've experienced this problem. I'm currently using a Pentair Kreepy Krauly Lil Shark (a cheap unit). It works great for the price but can stall if the turn radius setting is too straight. Supplied with the cleaner was a special return fitting that limits the circulation. I don't use it. I like my homemade 90 degree PVC fitting job. Even at the full 1.5" opening I still get a strong circulation if I point the elbow to be almost level (slightly breaking the water surface). Adding a fitting that decreases the jet to .75" gives my pool almost too much current for the cleaner to work properly unless It's pointed down at a strong angle.

4. Back To Top    #4

how do i post a question?

Cindy, I sent you a notification with some instructions. (edited by moderator-Patrick B)
    Cindy Bode
    Street, Maryland
    2014 Built 20x38 Gunite Pool with
    Diamond Brite Finish
    Salt Water

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Good Day, the Aqua Bug has not worked well with many of the Intex systems. 2450 GPH means approximately 40 gpm in a perfect world. With back pressure and dirty filter I have not seen this cleaner work well with Intex systems.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks. I returned it and bought a pool rover to take the pump out of the equation.
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex CS8110 SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

I assume an Aquabug will get caught on the wall's bottom edge/berm, the bug will climb the wall slightly and then be stuck where it's little feet cannot move it off the wall.

With a straight walled pool, the black ring allows the bug to reorient and move off the wall. The cove at the bottom of the wall is pretty sharp and will not allow the bug to climb.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

My lil shark is doing the same. I gave up on pool cleaners. I will vacuum it manually from now on. Glad you found a solution.
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

You got it.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by DaneCE View Post
    The problem could be that the cleaner is trying to fight against the underwater current. I've experienced this problem. I'm currently using a Pentair Kreepy Krauly Lil Shark (a cheap unit). It works great for the price but can stall if the turn radius setting is too straight. Supplied with the cleaner was a special return fitting that limits the circulation. I don't use it. I like my homemade 90 degree PVC fitting job. Even at the full 1.5" opening I still get a strong circulation if I point the elbow to be almost level (slightly breaking the water surface). Adding a fitting that decreases the jet to .75" gives my pool almost too much current for the cleaner to work properly unless It's pointed down at a strong angle.
    Hey! I thought I was the only one with the 1.5" elbow return. Tried an eyeball. Didn't like it. I love my whirlpool. Will have to keep this in mind if I ever go looking for vacuums!
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Beens View Post
    Hey! I thought I was the only one with the 1.5" elbow return. Tried an eyeball. Didn't like it. I love my whirlpool. Will have to keep this in mind if I ever go looking for vacuums!
    Hi, you're not far from me. I'm in Deep Creek. I don't know what the fitting was called that fits tight into the 90 to reduce it to 3/4" but yes, it turns my pool into a whirlpool too. If I let my body sink with just enough air in my lungs the current will nudge me along.

12. Back To Top    #12

I like the elbow return idea.
    I returned the aqua bug and got a Pool Rover. It works perfectly!
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex CS8110 SWG