Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: First season with pool

1. Back To Top    #1

First season with pool

Good evening everyone. So the house I bought came with a pool and this is my first season with it. Have read a lot on here and have a good idea of what I need to do. I have ordered the TF100 xl test, put pump and filter back together and have started slaming. Pool was not used last season and was very dark green when I started. Only have test strips until test gets here but think I'm close on my levels. So far I have put 12 gallons of 12.5% in since yesterday afternoon. Have CYA in sock increasing level and ph/TA are a little low. Water is currently milky gray. Can't forget I have blindly cleaned the bottom with rake. Think it's pretty good.

Noticed on multi port valve the diffuser tabs are broken and it does not stay on. Is this a big deal? Can I just glue it back on? I put new sand in, that's how I noticed.

I was vacuuming today on filtration and noticed a lot of green gunk coming out return back into the pool. Is this normal with heavy algae or might something be mechanically wrong?

I'm sure I will have many more questions, but that's it for now. Thank you in advance for any help that can be offered. I'm looking forward to this pool adventure.
    34x18 doughboy (desert springs) above ground. Has deep end, but don't know depth yet. Pool came with house (first season). 22in sand filter (250lbs sand)with 1.5hp two speed pump. Pentair MiniMax ch 200m heater.
    440 gallon Emerald spa. Currently a 3.6hp, 2 speed, 46y, 240volts motor. Changing to a 3hp, 2 speed, 56y, 240volt motor.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First season with pool

Welcome to TFP!

Nothing visible should come back into the pool when in filter mode. If you are getting green gunk and the multi-port is on filter then something is going wrong. Unfortunately, there are a could of different possibilities for what might be happening. This could be a problem with the multi-port valve, or the sand might be channeled, or there could be something broken inside the filter.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

I'm not familiar with which part you're asking about in the multiport. If it's part of the rotor, where the gasket sits, that could be why you see blowby. It's easier to send dirty water back than it is to go through the filter. What brand is the multiport? Maybe you can find an exploded diagram somewhere?

As far as testing with strips... check this thread from today: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...kits-vs-strips
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

image.jpg

Object that looks like screen on bottom is the diffuser. I guess it simply distributes water instead of spraying out one area.

From my understanding of how filter works, in filtration mode water comes in from top, is forced throughg the sand and returns via the lateral. With that said, I would believe the multi port is allowing water return without going through the sand? That's why I see see **** coming out of return.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

Before

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

Now.
    34x18 doughboy (desert springs) above ground. Has deep end, but don't know depth yet. Pool came with house (first season). 22in sand filter (250lbs sand)with 1.5hp two speed pump. Pentair MiniMax ch 200m heater.
    440 gallon Emerald spa. Currently a 3.6hp, 2 speed, 46y, 240volts motor. Changing to a 3hp, 2 speed, 56y, 240volt motor.

5. Back To Top    #5

First season with pool

You're right about the diffuser part. It makes the water flow more like a shower head instead of a jet stream. I would glue the tabs back on if you have them, or order another part. It sounds like something inside is messed up allowing dirty water back to the pool. No way to know exactly what without taking the top off.

You're making good progress in the pool.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

I have managed to lite the pilot on heater, but it does not seem to ever kick on and start heating water. Any ideas on this issue? I was thinking something to do with thermostat?

7. Back To Top    #7

I was just thinking about my filter issue and remembered that my PSI on low speed reads 1-2. On high it reads 10-12. Is this normal? or could it also mean that water is coming out without going through sand which is why I have a low PSI on low speed?

8. Back To Top    #8

That is perfectly normal. Low speed will have a lower pressure than high speed. The actual pressure is all relative to your pool equipment. They will all be different depending on what equipment a person has. I have a 1.5hp single speed pump and my clean pressure is 15psi.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Just got home from the pool store. I had my water tested because I do not have my tf100 yet.

FC 14.04
    CC 2.93
    PH 8
    TA 93
    CYA 2

They wanted to sell me algaecide ($30), but I said no thanks. I assume I should stick to just chlorine? Should I try to raise CYA during this period?
    Water is cloudy as seen above, but better than the green it was. Will the cloudiness go away on its own or is there something I should be doing?

10. Back To Top    #10

PH needs to be lowered to 7.5. CYA cannot be 2, tests cannot measure that closely. It is normally a number between 20 and 100.

Here is a link about water chemistry.
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

Can't wait for test kit to get here. Hate not knowing what my levels are and feel like I'm probably wasting money and time. Water is seriously cloudy at this point, but blue tint. Both my vacuum head and brush have come off the pole and now I can't find either.

Still not sure my sand filter is doing its job. Took multi port apart it looks structurally sound. Spider gasket does look pretty warn away. Will replace soon just in case. I have read other cloudy water threads and see that it can take a couple weeks to clear up I suppose I'm impatient.

12. Back To Top    #12

You should be able to see some improvement in the water each day, even if only a very slight change. Watching stairs or a ladder is most effective. As long as you see some change you are good. But if the water stops improving then something else is going on and more investigation is warranted.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Was just vacuuming again, fished out the vacuum head, and was thinking water was just a little bit more clear. So I suppose progress is slow and steady.

14. Back To Top    #14

Left hose in pool after filling. Water level dropped 1/4 inch in six hours. Did hose create siphon or do I have a leak now?

15. Back To Top    #15

Hard to say for sure. Take the hose out and see what happens.

16. Back To Top    #16

So I refilled pool and took the hose out. Noted the level on the skimmer and waited out the same six hours. Water level did go down but only 1/8 inch approx. So I assume the hose was the problem. To be safe I turned off the pump for the night to be sure it does not end up running dry. 1/8 inch drop in six hours seem right?

17. Back To Top    #17

My test kit did not show up yesterday. So here I sit not knowing my levels still. I feel like progress has staled. Have been using test strips to at least have an idea of FC levels. Has been 3 days with pool still sitting milky gray (has not changed from pic above). Looking at other post, I see pools that appear worse than mine turning around already.

18. Back To Top    #18

You'll get it today hopefully. It is hard to sit and wait, but no worries, we'll be here when you are ready.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

19. Back To Top    #19

Yay, it finally arrived. First test with new tf100 results below.

FC 15.5
    CC 1.5
    CYA <20
    TA 100
    PH 7.2
    CH 100

I will take a look at poolmath to see how much CYA to add.

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Poolsteve View Post
    Yay, it finally arrived. First test with new tf100 results below.

FC 15.5
    CC 1.5
    CYA <20
    TA 100
    PH 7.2
    CH 100

I will take a look at poolmath to see how much CYA to add.
    Whoa!!

With that high CC and the original coloration, a SLAM is called for. In which case, limit the CYA to about 30. Also note that your pH test is suspect due to the high FC levels, so don't adjust it until after the FC is below 10.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast