Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Buying a used Pool Slide

1. Back To Top    #1

Buying a used Pool Slide

Hello, I have done a search and can't seem to find any info.
    After pricing new pool slides I am thinking of buying a used one.
    My questions are.
    1. Is there a fiberglass paint that you could use to spruce up the slide.
    2. Is there a fitting that could be easily hooked up to a return, for the water hook-up.
    I have a line on a couple slides ,but I don't know if I want to put an older looking slide
    with a brand new pool,shed and landscape. Thanks for any replies
    16x32 inground vinyl 8' deep end
    1hp Northstar Pump, 20" Sand Filter
    6ft Double Lounge, 2 Aqua Lamps w/remote
    216sqft Sungrabber Panels (9- 2'x12') a little undersized

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Buying a used Pool Slide

A fiberglass slide is just like a boat, you can re gel coat the slide, costly. You could use a marine paint to paint the slide, but with paint, use of the slide will remove the paint when sliding down. If your building a new pool spend the money and put a nice slide in. would you remodle a kitchen and use the old stove, just repainted to make look new?

Pool was not preped for a slide? use a garden hose setup?
    22x52 IG 56K gal 3.6' to 11.6' deep, TruTile w/Vinyl Liner IG pool w/ 12" wide safety ledge
    StaRite System 3 Cartridge filter 450sqft S8M450, Pentair IntelliFlo VF pump 3.2KW
    Hydronic in floor heat & StaRite SR400HD, Pro Logic PS16 w/2 40K Turbo cells.
    4 Hayward Colorlogic lights, Dolphin DL3002 Robotic cleaner
    Saint Charles, IL

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. The pool is 2 years old, at the time we went for a diving board.
    Now I am thinking kids would like a slide but close to $2000 seems steep. I have seen
    many for sale because the kids are grown up for around $200.00. I did have an extra line
    plumped in but its on the other side of the pool(maybe a water feature later). I was hoping
    to use a return so I am not adding water to the pool all day when in use. If I could paint a used slide to clean it up it might be worth the $1800.00 in savings.
    16x32 inground vinyl 8' deep end
    1hp Northstar Pump, 20" Sand Filter
    6ft Double Lounge, 2 Aqua Lamps w/remote
    216sqft Sungrabber Panels (9- 2'x12') a little undersized

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I purchased a used slide for my new pool. I couldn't get one as large as I wanted new and I saved about $1500.

I treated the surface like an old car finish. Used rubbing compound on it and paste wax. Never looked perfectly new but it was certainly acceptable.....looked new to the casual observer.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Just bought a used "old style" slide today off craigslist. It's in good condition for an old slide, and at $160 I couldn't pass it up.

I also am going to hook the water into my return from the pool. I'm thinking a tee valve to direct water to the slide when using it, and to the pool when not using the slide. Did you ever get this project working???

I'm also looking for a place to buy the 1.9" anchors for the 4 slide legs, as it did not come with them. Anyone know of a place to get them fairly inexpensive, Lowes or Home Depot??
    17,500 gallon 18x36 gunite pool
    Hayward super II 1.5 hp pump, Hayward cartridge filter
    Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG 35K, Raypak R6350TI-E HeatPump
    Solar cover, Loop Lok winter Cover
    Artisian Antigua hot tub, Polk Atrium 4's

6. Back To Top    #6

westsidewholesale.com has the anchors that you will need. I have placed a few orders with them. They have been good to deal with.
    DIY 18x36 Vinyl Liner 1Hp 2 speed super pump, Hayward Swim Clear cartridge filter, Pentair 12v Intellibrite 5G, MX8 suction pool cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

I bought some of these off eBay (when they were cheaper), they have gone up on the price.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/InterFab-Deck-Mount ... 20b460f6a3

My second choice was using galvanized pipe flanges and a 6" threaded stub to set the legs over, similar to this pic;[attachment=0:7737xy26]pipe.jpeg[/attachment:7737xy26]

Best of luck,
    John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Experience is what you get, just after you needed it."

Owner DIY build, steel/liner kit, 18x36 Deer Creek, sport depth, approx 17,500 gal,
    Aqua Plus SWG, 1 1/2 hp, 2 speed, 300# sand filter and twin Color logic 4.0s, MX-8 Cleaner.
    My DIY Pool Build

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you both!

9. Back To Top    #9

Any advice mounting the flanges to my pool deck thats surfaced with Cooldeck?

Drill holes and use concrete screws?

10. Back To Top    #10

Slide is installed! Used the galvanized deck flanges, and some pvc elbows, valves and t's. Working Great!

11. Back To Top    #11

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to ask you how the galvanized components are holding up with the elements? Are they rusting or scaling yet?
    22,000 rectangular plaster. Hayward everything on a C1750 cartridge filter and a Liquidator.

12. Back To Top    #12

Discovered that my pool level drops dramatically when I have the gate valve open to allow water to our slide. 1" line running underground must have a leak. Pressure going to slide is also poor so yeah, a leak underground. I'd rather not replumb/dig out the old pipe. Thinking of using a setup like yours off the return. I have a return right below the slide so should be doable. 1" PVC, T and valve ought to do it.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

13. Back To Top    #13

I picked up a used Interfab X-Stream slide for about $700. I plumbed it to an existing, but unused Jandy valve (that was previously used to control a pressure side sweep, but was capped off when the previous owner converted to a suction side sweep). I dug a trench by hand, ran 2" PVC all the way around to the back side of the pool, and used the appropriate adapters to neck down to the 1" flex hose that is integrated in the slide. Needless to say, water flow is not an issue. I used 1/2" Redheads to anchor it to the deck. All told, an easy weekend job and not more than $50-$75 to install myself (since I already had the valve). 8214166200128718589.jpg
    20K gallon in-ground free form gunite pool with moss rock waterfall and GREEN plaster! Built circa 1984. Pentair 1hp Whisperflo pump, Clean & Clear Plus 420 cartridge filter (both new in 2011), Barracuda G3 pool cleaner and Interfab X-Stream slide.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by bproosow View Post
    I picked up a used Interfab X-Stream slide for about $700. I plumbed it to an existing, but unused Jandy valve (that was previously used to control a pressure side sweep, but was capped off when the previous owner converted to a suction side sweep). I dug a trench by hand, ran 2" PVC all the way around to the back side of the pool, and used the appropriate adapters to neck down to the 1" flex hose that is integrated in the slide. Needless to say, water flow is not an issue. I used 1/2" Redheads to anchor it to the deck. All told, an easy weekend job and not more than $50-$75 to install myself (since I already had the valve). 8214166200128718589.jpg
    Could you elaborate a little on the x-stream? I found a used 2010 model on craigslist and I was thinking of buying it, but the reviews on amazon are pretty bad (complaints that the seals fails quickly, you can feel the seams hitting you every time you slide down, the slide is rickety and shakes a lot, etc.).