Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bullfrogs driving me crazy

1. Back To Top    #1

Bullfrogs driving me crazy

Had the liner in the pool replaced on March 23. It filled up and I started the pumps on March 25. Every day since then - I mean every day - there have been from 1 to 3 bullfrogs in the pool every morning. We live about 1/4 mile from a swamp so we get a lot of wildlife from time to time, but this has been an explosion of frogs. The little devils are hard to catch. I have to chase them around the pool with the net until they wear down. My wife would have a fit if I killed them so I take them to the swamp where they belong. I kinda wonder if the same ones keep coming back. They are all about the same size (maybe big as a half dollar), but there is no real way to tell.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bullfrogs driving me crazy

LOL! Mental image of someone running circles around the pool with a butterfly net to catch a frog. Thanks for the giggle!

Oh, and tie a small colored thread around an ankle (do frogs even have ankles???) and check the next day to see if he/she returns.
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

I can relate. A few days after I took the cover off of our pool a few weeks ago, I fished 18 frogs out of the pool! We have a small pond about 20-30 feet from the pool, so I just dumped them in the pond. The next few days there were anywhere from 2-8 each day, I just kept taking them to the pond. After a few days of that, we've been frog-free.

Those guys can definitely be hard to catch, though...

Russ
    11,500 gallon 14x28 IG vinyl pool, 3/4 HP FloPro Pump, CS200 cartridge filter, Polaris 280 with booster pump. Testing with Taylor K-2600 test kit and adding liquid chlorine with a Beta DR-2000 peristaltic pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

We have a pond as well and no shortage of frogs in the pool but ours always end up in the skimmers.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

5. Back To Top    #5

What your wife doesn't know won't hurt her.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    What your wife doesn't know won't hurt her.
    Til she finds out and hurts him!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Call it dinner n be done with it!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

I feel your pain man. Trust me. I had that same problem last year! The buggers sure can maneuver in the water! I had a hard time catching 'em too!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Call it dinner n be done with it!
    Tastes like chicken!

I get the little frogs in our pool. Unfortunately, they get in, but can't get out and I find them dead later. Thankfully not many of them them, and I've yet to see a bullfrog.
    J.R.

20K IG gunnite pool
    2HP Hayward single speed pump
    Cartridge filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Anyone tried a Frog Log? Found this the end of last season but haven't bought...

http://www.froglog.us/
    TF-100 Test Kit
    22,000 gallon, 20x40 kidney-shape IG plaster pool built in 1986
    Nautilus NS-36 DE filter, Hayward Self Prime Super Pump 1HP
    Polaris Automatic Pool Cleaner, PB4-60 3/4 HP pump

11. Back To Top    #11

I tried the frog log about two years ago and it didn't seem to work very well for the bullfrogs. Some of the toads and bugs would climb out but not the true frogs. True frogs don't want to leave the pool - the frog log just gave them a place to sit.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

12. Back To Top    #12

I had a pair of froglogs a couple of years ago and seemed to have a lot less frogs to fish out. They got in the way and splashed around when playing in the pool. Then we had a friend's barndog over here for a couple of month and he ate them! I haven't replaced them. It's been so dry here that I think the frogs left to move closer to the lake or something. Maybe with all the rain this year they will be back and I will buy some more.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

I "built" a "handicap ramp" out of a piece of styrofoam about 20 inches long that I taped down to the coping and let the other end float in the pool.

It seemed to be about 60-70% effective for my particular collection....mostly toads but some frogs.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

I guess my resident bullfrog from last year is back. He was in the pool last night. I wonder if the floating thermometer people make a Large Mouth Bass one instead of the yellow duck? Use it sort of like a scare crow. I wonder if that would work? LOL
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

15. Back To Top    #15

In addition to the bullfrogs there has been a hatch of box turtles. There was one in the pool yesterday that was the size of a quarter. When I pulled him out the shell was soft and pliable. I've never seen one that small before. Later I saw another one about the same size walking on the driveway. He was also about as big around as a quarter and had a very soft shell. They must have just hatched because the shell was so soft and they are so small.

16. Back To Top    #16

Awwww, how cute! Can't believe I said that! Never seen fresh hatched turtles. I'll spare ya'll the stories of baby bunnies and my dog.
    TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

Thank god I don't have frogs and turtles. The bane of my pool life is spiders (huge ones!), earth worms, and a couple of mice. Every morning, I am fishing out 4 or 5 spiders and a dozen or more worms. Maybe I should open a bait shop.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit