Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First year with a pool

1. Back To Top    #1

First year with a pool

So this is my first year opening the pool. We have been going with what the pool store told us this year and the results are not nearly as fast as I expected, and becoming quite expensive.

I am currently waiting on my test kit, it should be here Friday at the latest.

I have also replaced the old sand filter with a new one due to leaks beyond repair, complete with new sand.

So far this week we have fed the pool:

2 jugs of pool first aid
    25 lbs of soars ash
    10lbs of alkalinity up
    30 lbs of Chlor-brite
    8 gallons of 6% bleach

Our FC is not going down as quick as it was, while our CCV remains high. Our current test kit until Friday only reads to 5ppm.

Here is a starting pic.

And a now pic

Type: IG Vynal
    Size: ~ 22,000 GAL
    Filter: Sand - Hayward S244T Pro Series w/ 1HP Hayward Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First year with a pool

19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

Please don't add any more powdered chlorine until you get your test kit. 30 lbs of Chlor-brite (dichlor) will have added 82 CYA to your 22,000 gallon pool. That's way high, especially if you had any residual from last year. I hope you had to backwash the filter a lot and lost some of that. Stick with liquid bleach from now on.

As an aside, you probably wouldn't have had to add so much soda ash and alkalinity up if you hadn't used that chlor-brite. It's very acidic.

I'm sure that once you start doing your own testing, your chemical costs will go down substantially.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I am anxiously waiting for my test kit to arrive. Neither my husband or I had any clue about CYA - or pool chemistry until this week when I found TFP. Last summer we used chlor-brite all year long, adding around 3lbs per week. Now that I know what it does to the water, I really hope that our CYA is at a reasonable level this year, just the idea of having to drain/fill with water annoys me. We have purged quite a bit of water from the pool through the winter and so far this year for back-washing. We had a lot of rain over the winter and I had to drain the levels from the top of the skimmer back to the bottom a couple of times, and we have purged about that amount this week through back-washing.

It's been a rough start to the pool season for sure. I did manage to install our new filter myself though, so I'm sure that saved us several hundred dollars in labor.

5. Back To Top    #5

Great to hear, and welcome to TFP!

Let us see some numbers once you have the kit. Looking more like a pool now, but as said, no more Chlorbrite. Don't feel bad, hardly anyone tells you about the Cya side effect as long as you are buying more.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

I will be dumping more bleach into the pool today I'm sure. No more chlorbrite until I get my test kit. I just checked it will be here Friday by 8pm.

It's going to rain all week here, and I'm in a debate. Should I keep adding some bleach when needed until the test kit gets here or just let it go and start over with a slam once I know my CYA levels and can test my FC properly.

Thoughts?

7. Back To Top    #7

It's best to wait on the kit. Without knowing what your levels are, it's too risky, especially with Vinyl.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

Well -- I didn't want to wait for my test kit, so I made the schlep to another Leslie's for a water test. I went to a different location from last time, and the employee was appalled at the recommendations from the last person. To sum up a long story, I will be doing a partial drain/fill on my pool. I'm ready for my test kit to get here.

FC - 0.0 (expected, I haven't added any to the water in several days).
    CC - 1.0 (Leslie's said we had a chlorine lock).
    CH - 220
    CYA - 150 (ugh).
    TA - 80
    pH - 7.0
    Base Demand - 3
    TDS - 1400 (not sure what this is, so I need to read about it)
    Phosphates - 200 (not sure on this either).

9. Back To Top    #9

Ignore TDS and phosphates. There is no such thing as chlorine lock. There is nothing wrong with a partial drain to lower CYA. The question is do you believe the test? Or have you been chlorinating with pucks and shock and have reason to believe CYA high?

FC needs to be above 0, keep adding bleach. Ph is a tad low, 7.2 is better, you can aerate the water to raise it a little. The other numbers look ok.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes I have reason to believe that the CYA is accurate. All last summer we were dumping granular chlorbrite which has stabilizer in it into the water, then this year already we have put about 30lbs in.

11. Back To Top    #11

Sure, then go ahead and drain a out half and refill. Then you will be ready for some testing on Friday.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

Hi and welcome!

You have come to the right place for a clear pool!

One thing you CAN do is start stocking up on bleach. Every time you are in the store buy a couple or few gallons.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

My husband is still skeptical of this practice. My grandparents for years have slammed their pool at opening with bleach. I will probably keep doing it and not tell him.

14. Back To Top    #14

And the draining begins... I did a quick estimate on our water costs, it will be about $90 to put 10,000 gallons back into the pool... In theory.

15. Back To Top    #15

That test kit is going to save you the $90 many times over. The only chemicals I have needed are muratic acid, cyanuric acid, and a couple bags of salt. All are relatively cheap even if you're buying bleach too. The pool store is going to miss you.
    11K gal IG screened-in plaster pool w/ spa
    pentair 150 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump,
    Aquarite AQR15 SWG, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump, TF-100 test kit

16. Back To Top    #16

And a few of my friends too. Next time I'm in my office I'm so telling them about this saga. There is so much more to it.

17. Back To Top    #17

Man as the water is going down I'm staring to see all kinds of stuff I missed when vacuuming.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Calebh2002 View Post
    And a few of my friends too. Next time I'm in my office I'm so telling them about this saga. There is so much more to it.
    We're all friends here and it's your thread so have at it!
    11K gal IG screened-in plaster pool w/ spa
    pentair 150 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump,
    Aquarite AQR15 SWG, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump, TF-100 test kit

19. Back To Top    #19

I finished a partial drain/refill last night. Any thoughts on what my goal should be for CYA. I have a gut feeling that I will be doing another partial drain/refill before the weekend to bring it down to an acceptable level, however only a water test will tell me for sure.

20. Back To Top    #20

Yes, we have thoughts on what all of your water chemistry goals should be.
    Have a look here, Recommended Levels and also here for some general water chemistry info, ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast