Great SLAM results so far

Thought I'd post some pics of my spring slam:

Saturday 4/11 around 12:30 - treating with muriatic acid and waiting for ph to come down - CYA is less than 30 - estimated it around 10 - but I started the slam assuming 30. FC is a negative number at this point - and the NC spring pollen clouds have left me a nice yellow sludge to clean up. LOL!

Started the SLAM Saturday evening, and have spent Sunday babysitting the process.
2 full rounds with the brush, backwashed the filter a couple of times and emptied the pool cleaner bag 3 or 4 times. Not much of any debris left.
Yes - the pool area needs a serious clean up.

I've got the pool cleaner running and as of 12:30 - we've got a lot cleaner looking pool - still maintaining around 5ppm FC and CC of 1 or less:

- - - Updated - - -

Sunday later in the afternoon FC remains around 5ppm, and CC is 0... I've dialed back on FC since the CYA is so low.

CH? Calcium Hardness? What is your FC and are you keeping it at slam levels?

I dialed the slam level back a bit - My CYA is less than 30. CH I really never pay much attention to with the vinyl liner.

And yes - I mean FC not CH... doh...! Went back and fixed that... Thanks for the heads up....

FC has steadily dropped - so I need to bump my chlorine shock a bit. Will post a morning pick... everybody loves a good SLAM....

You need to be up around 10-12 ppm at all times. SLAM means Shock Level And MAINTAIN. You're stalling by staying at 5ppm.

Please SLAM your pool! :mrgreen:

+1 To Casey's suggestion. FC 5 will let you down for sure. Keep it up, and you'll be done before too long.

My CYA reads really low - less than 30. I was going by the shock tables with that level of CYA. How risky is it to bump the FC up to 10-12 with CYA so low?

- - - Updated - - -

You need to be up around 10-12 ppm at all times. SLAM means Shock Level And MAINTAIN. You're stalling by staying at 5ppm.

Please SLAM your pool! :mrgreen:

Is it risky to bump the FC to 10-12 with the CYA really low? My reading stops at 30, and the black dot is still pretty clearly visible.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To slam your pool with a CYA level of 20 your FC needs to stay at 10 at all times. If your CYA is at 30 you need to keep your FC at 12. I would keep it at 12 to be safe. Your FC level of 5ppm is more of your target when not slamming your pool. Raising your FC to 10-12 will in no way harm your CYA or your pool. It's a must to raise it to this to actually kill the algae. If your FC drops lower than your slam level of 10-12 the algae will keep growing. You need to get up and over the algae and keep it there to kill it. Overwhelm the algae!! It's the only way!;)

To slam your pool with a CYA level of 20 your FC needs to stay at 10 at all times. If your CYA is at 30 you need to keep your FC at 12. I would keep it at 12 to be safe. Your FC level of 5ppm is more of your target when not slamming your pool. Raising your FC to 10-12 will in no way harm your CYA or your pool. It's a must to raise it to this to actually kill the algae. If your FC drops lower than your slam level of 10-12 the algae will keep growing. You need to get up and over the algae and keep it there to kill it. Overwhelm the algae!! It's the only way!;)

Exactly. Now, SLAM the pool so you can enjoy it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.