Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Great SLAM results so far

1. Back To Top    #1

Great SLAM results so far

Thought I'd post some pics of my spring slam:

Saturday 4/11 around 12:30 - treating with muriatic acid and waiting for ph to come down - CYA is less than 30 - estimated it around 10 - but I started the slam assuming 30. FC is a negative number at this point - and the NC spring pollen clouds have left me a nice yellow sludge to clean up. LOL!
    16x32 in-ground vinyl liner, SGS Breeze 540 salt system, Pentair 1.5hp pump, Booster pump & Tagelus sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Great SLAM results so far

Started the SLAM Saturday evening, and have spent Sunday babysitting the process.
    2 full rounds with the brush, backwashed the filter a couple of times and emptied the pool cleaner bag 3 or 4 times. Not much of any debris left.
    Yes - the pool area needs a serious clean up.

I've got the pool cleaner running and as of 12:30 - we've got a lot cleaner looking pool - still maintaining around 5ppm FC and CC of 1 or less:

- - - Updated - - -

Sunday later in the afternoon FC remains around 5ppm, and CC is 0... I've dialed back on FC since the CYA is so low.
    16x32 in-ground vinyl liner, SGS Breeze 540 salt system, Pentair 1.5hp pump, Booster pump & Tagelus sand filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

CH? Calcium Hardness? What is your FC and are you keeping it at slam levels?
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    2017-Intex Ultra Frame 16x48 5000 Gallons
    Intex 2800GPH Pump with 14" Intex Sand Filter
    My Intex Pool Setup Video :Intex pool rises from the ashes - installing and leveling - EP-72 - YouTube

4. Back To Top    #4

That is some good progress already!

I am hoping they meant FC instead of CH but...............better to check.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Looking good so far!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by unkyjoe View Post
    CH? Calcium Hardness? What is your FC and are you keeping it at slam levels?
    I dialed the slam level back a bit - My CYA is less than 30. CH I really never pay much attention to with the vinyl liner.

And yes - I mean FC not CH... doh...! Went back and fixed that... Thanks for the heads up....

FC has steadily dropped - so I need to bump my chlorine shock a bit. Will post a morning pick... everybody loves a good SLAM....

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes CH = FC... fixed it... I'm thinking CH = chlorine... oops...

8. Back To Top    #8

You need to be up around 10-12 ppm at all times. SLAM means Shock Level And MAINTAIN. You're stalling by staying at 5ppm.

Please SLAM your pool!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

+1 To Casey's suggestion. FC 5 will let you down for sure. Keep it up, and you'll be done before too long.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    +1 To Casey's suggestion. FC 5 will let you down for sure. Keep it up, and you'll be done before too long.
    My CYA reads really low - less than 30. I was going by the shock tables with that level of CYA. How risky is it to bump the FC up to 10-12 with CYA so low?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    You need to be up around 10-12 ppm at all times. SLAM means Shock Level And MAINTAIN. You're stalling by staying at 5ppm.

Please SLAM your pool!
    Is it risky to bump the FC to 10-12 with the CYA really low? My reading stops at 30, and the black dot is still pretty clearly visible.

11. Back To Top    #11

To slam your pool with a CYA level of 20 your FC needs to stay at 10 at all times. If your CYA is at 30 you need to keep your FC at 12. I would keep it at 12 to be safe. Your FC level of 5ppm is more of your target when not slamming your pool. Raising your FC to 10-12 will in no way harm your CYA or your pool. It's a must to raise it to this to actually kill the algae. If your FC drops lower than your slam level of 10-12 the algae will keep growing. You need to get up and over the algae and keep it there to kill it. Overwhelm the algae!! It's the only way!
    21ft round Doughboy AG, 9,300 gallons
    22 inch ClearWater Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward Power Flo Matrix Pump
    Install 6/16/13
    TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Iwilk View Post
    To slam your pool with a CYA level of 20 your FC needs to stay at 10 at all times. If your CYA is at 30 you need to keep your FC at 12. I would keep it at 12 to be safe. Your FC level of 5ppm is more of your target when not slamming your pool. Raising your FC to 10-12 will in no way harm your CYA or your pool. It's a must to raise it to this to actually kill the algae. If your FC drops lower than your slam level of 10-12 the algae will keep growing. You need to get up and over the algae and keep it there to kill it. Overwhelm the algae!! It's the only way!
    Exactly. Now, SLAM the pool so you can enjoy it.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter