My pool looks like a swamp!

Jun 8, 2012
Spring, TX
I haven't been on here in a while... and am in need of some good advice. I did a really stupid thing and didn't bother covering my pool last winter, and shut the pump off because the inside basket broke. I could just kick myself and I have no idea what I was thinking...so anyway. Now it's Spring and I have to clean this mess up. I am in the process of draining it right now...with a water hose! I suppose it will take a couple of days this way, but I don't have an electric pump and didn't want to go out and spend the money right now. The thing I need to know is after I get it drained and get all the gunk out, how do I go about cleaning the walls before I refill it.

Hi Shirleye. You should not drain your pool. You will run the rist of unseating the liner and could possibly tear it. Stop draining the pool now. Get a leaf rake and attach it to your pole and start scooping out all the winter debris. Fill the pool, start the pump n filter as directed and start SLAM'ing your pool as outlined here:
Defeating Algae

Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

SLAMing Your Pool

Do you have a TF100 of K2006 test kit?

Thank you Casey. My plan was just to drain it down to about 2 ft. just to make it easier to get the debris out of the bottom. I thought as long as you didn't drain it completely, it was okay to drain it some. I know the liner could shrink if it's completely emptied, and especially if it's really hot and sitting for a few days. Once I remove all the debris that I could get out, I was going to refill it and start the "slamming" process. Is this a bad idea? I do have a TF100 test kit.

Get all that garbage out n refill it. You should be fine with leaving a couple feet of water in the pool. Glad to hear you have the TF100. You're on the right track! If you have any questions, just ask!

Reactions: vanzantmom
Don't feel bad, I had a similar situation last year. I had a slow leak in the fall and was letting it go so I could get an idea of where the leak was. It stopped draining about one foot down, but between this and that I didn't take care of it and left the cover off all winter. In the spring I found the leak and patched it up, but not before some frogs found the pool. And had babies. Hundreds of tadpoles.

Johanna, mass murderer of tadpoles.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I took the cowards way out and hired someone to clean it out! lol! It was worth every penny too! Now I have it refilled and am ready to start all over. I was searching on here for pool "start up" because it's been a long time since I had to start from scratch. :confused:

How are you coming along? Arms tired yet?
Well...I am a big wimp! I took the cowards way out and hired someone to clean it out! They finally came out yesterday and I now have it refilled and ready to start all over. It's been a while since I started my pool up, so I am searching how to start from scratch. I think I need to run the pump for a few hours and then test it to see what it needs. Is that right? The filter/basket is really dirty and has lots of leaves and debris in it. I can't get it opened, so now I am waiting for my neighbors son to come and help me get it opened.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.