Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine may be hard on bathing suits

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine may be hard on bathing suits

This off topic side conversation has been split off of this topic. JasonLion

Just keep in mind that what's safe for you may be hard on bathing suits depending on the material they're made of. In other words, if your going to swim at close to SLAM levels, wear an old suit. (or no suit )
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Safe to swim FC chart?

Actually, it may be about time to put that (old suit) idea to rest. Over the years, I doubt we have seen but maybe one or two reports of swimsuit fade.

Now, if there is no CYA in your pool, the FC is quite a bit more aggressive so pay attention to the chart but if you are in the safe range, it truly is safe.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Safe to swim FC chart?

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Actually, it may be about time to put that (old suit) idea to rest. Over the years, I doubt we have seen but maybe one or two reports of swimsuit fade.

Now, if there is no CYA in your pool, the FC is quite a bit more aggressive so pay attention to the chart but if you are in the safe range, it truly is safe.
    Interesting. It was my understanding that the issue had to do with CL attacking the stretchy (spandex?) material used in many bathing suits.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Chlorine may be hard on bathing suits

That is correct as far as it goes. The thing is it very much depends on the active chlorine level, which depends on both the FC and CYA levels. Because of the way CYA works, with CYA above zero it is nearly impossible to get FC high enough to be a problem for swim suits. While if CYA is zero then it is quite easy to get FC high enough to be a problem.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    That is correct as far as it goes. The thing is it very much depends on the active chlorine level, which depends on both the FC and CYA levels. Because of the way CYA works, it is nearly impossible to get FC high enough to be a problem for swim suits. While if CYA is zero then it is quite easy to get FC high enough to be a problem.
    Thanks for the clarification.

6. Back To Top    #6

Suits have never faded in my home pool. My suits faded all the time when I swam at the gym. They would fade within two weeks.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

My suits faded all the time when I swam at the gym. They would fade within two weeks.
    Probably a good example of no CYA in the water and one of the reasons we suggest it (minimally) for indoor pools as well
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School