Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Min Flow Rate for Raypak heaters?

1. Back To Top    #1

Min Flow Rate for Raypak heaters?

I have a raypak p-r266a-en-c NG heater and I can't seem to find the min flow rate for it anywhere. Trying to setup my VS pump.
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Min Flow Rate for Raypak heaters?

The minimum is around 25 GPM.

It is easy to just experiment a little and see what it takes to prevent a low flow/pressure error.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

At 25gpm that's about 60% of my pumps max flow speed at 1800 rpm. So should I just set it to 1850 rpm and run it long enough to turn over the pool at least once?
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

4. Back To Top    #4

Looks like the minimum flow rate is 25GPM...

http://cdn.globalimageserver.com/fet...5-1e29edd2f913

I hope deep linking is okay. If not, Mods, please delete my post.
    14,000 Gal IG Pool/500 Gal Attached Spa
    Pentair Whisperflow 1hp Single Speed Pump
    Sta-Rite Posi-Flo PTM-135 Cartridge Filter
    Hayward H400 Natural Gas Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

There is no point in doing a full turnover each day, just a waste of electricity. That is based on an old rule of thumb having to do with commercial pools that never applied to residential pools.

Lower speeds are more energy efficient, so you want the lowest speed to reliably provides a sufficient flow rate. Typically you turn it down until it fails and then turn it up a little from there.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

So once I figure this out what would be a good turn over rate?
    SF Bay

7. Back To Top    #7

There is no good turn over rate. You just have to run the pump long enough that you are happy with the cleanliness: Determine Pump Run Time
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Turnover rate is not important in TFPC. The goal is to run the pump filter once or twice per day long enough to keep the pool clean and make enough chlorine if you have a SWCG. I run my VS pump at 1100 rpm because that is enough flow to make my SWCG happy and get good skimming action.

Normally, 2-3 hours in the a.m. and 2-3 hours in the p.m. are a good starting point. You can go up or down from there depending in how your pool does.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Wow all this good info. I've been running my pump at mixed speed 3000rpm at 7am for a few hours then 2200rpm for a few then 1500 rpm for 8 or more hours to achieve a full turn over. This is going to save me some more $$ running of for less and just maxing it out when the pool is being used.
    SF Bay

10. Back To Top    #10

just tested the heater, @ 1960 the heater kicks in but randomly shuts off, 1980rpm the heater stays on, so I think I'll start with 200RPM running at about 300watts.

Would this be a good starting point? Run @ 2k RPM in the AM between between 9am to noon, and again at 3000RPM 4pm to 7pm this would. This would be for the swim season where I'd like to have the heater heat up the pool.
    SF Bay

11. Back To Top    #11

Sounds reasonable. Check again when your filter is starting to get dirty and see if you need to up the RPM a little more or not.

12. Back To Top    #12

Just note that from a heater "wear" point of view the lower flow rate closer to the minimum means higher internal heater temperatures. Probably not a big deal, but something to keep in mind. Interior moisture from condensation with subsequent rusting is likely a greater problem than higher internal temperatures when the heater is on.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"