Min Flow Rate for Raypak heaters?

There is no point in doing a full turnover each day, just a waste of electricity. That is based on an old rule of thumb having to do with commercial pools that never applied to residential pools.

Lower speeds are more energy efficient, so you want the lowest speed to reliably provides a sufficient flow rate. Typically you turn it down until it fails and then turn it up a little from there.

Turnover rate is not important in TFPC. The goal is to run the pump filter once or twice per day long enough to keep the pool clean and make enough chlorine if you have a SWCG. I run my VS pump at 1100 rpm because that is enough flow to make my SWCG happy and get good skimming action.

Normally, 2-3 hours in the a.m. and 2-3 hours in the p.m. are a good starting point. You can go up or down from there depending in how your pool does.

Wow all this good info. I've been running my pump at mixed speed 3000rpm at 7am for a few hours then 2200rpm for a few then 1500 rpm for 8 or more hours to achieve a full turn over. This is going to save me some more $$ running of for less and just maxing it out when the pool is being used.

just tested the heater, @ 1960 the heater kicks in but randomly shuts off, 1980rpm the heater stays on, so I think I'll start with 200RPM running at about 300watts.

Would this be a good starting point? Run @ 2k RPM in the AM between between 9am to noon, and again at 3000RPM 4pm to 7pm this would. This would be for the swim season where I'd like to have the heater heat up the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just note that from a heater "wear" point of view the lower flow rate closer to the minimum means higher internal heater temperatures. Probably not a big deal, but something to keep in mind. Interior moisture from condensation with subsequent rusting is likely a greater problem than higher internal temperatures when the heater is on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.