Do I need to open my vinyl pool?

Apr 12, 2015
Huntington, NY
Hi and thank you in advance for your advice.

My wife and I purchased a home last year that came with a pool. The pool is Vinyl with a new liner installed last year and working equipment.

We opened the pool last year and found ourselves not using it as the pool is under constant tree cover and does not have a heater it was never up to temperature. In short, this just became an expense for us and we are not currently in a position to put a heater on the pool as we are holding out to potentially do a bigger overhaul to the backyard.

The question we have, is do we need to open the pool? We have heard that algae can potentially build up and damage the liner but haven't been able to confirm this.

Any help and guidance would be appreciated, as opening and maintaining the pool was a big expense especially for a pool we never used.

Thank you!

Welcome to TFP!

If you leave the pool closed over the summer you will certainly get algae. However that can be dealt with later and won't have any permanent effect. Worst case it might stain the liner, but the stains are removable with a little work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.