floc process

Jun 1, 2014
Dewitt, Arkansas
I've completed my slamming and I've added plenty of floc to my pool. The dead algae looks to be coming together. But it's all floating on top of my water. The water underneath is blue. I generally use floc at night but I came to this stage this morning. So now I'm wondering if this is the usual process it goes through before it sinks Or if I have another problem going on. And is there anyway to help these huge clumps of dead algae fall besides adding more floc.

I didn't add floc while slamming my pool. Only after it was completed to settle the particles left floating that I thought were causing the water to be cloudy. This is my general routine only I generally floc over night so I don't actually see the process.
9550279ee468d8aadd5065e81aa647b1.jpg

Sorry, I meant we don't suggest it as any part. Before, during, or after. It takes time to clear cloudiness as part of the process. If you were following SLAM, one criteria is clear water to be 100% finished. It may be the picture, or what the floc did, but the water doesn't look SLAM complete.

Okie dokie. I'll give it some more time to see if it settles. And then all I know to do it run my pump and recheck all my levels. When I completed my slam, my FC was holding at 10. All other levels were in check. Water is blue and has about a 12 to 16 inch visibility. Thanks for the replies!

Please don't think I'm being rough on you. It truly isn't my intent. If it's only 16" of clarity, the slam wasn't done.

My best suggestion is to see if you can skim it off. Your getting the opposite effect of what you want.

Kaycee,

You can completely eliminate that issue if you stop using floc. It simply is not necessary. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School and then read the SLAM article. You will find we get pools crystal clear with chlorine only. The floc is causing you a headache and money......you probably don't need either.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, I assume your posts mean you are at a loss..........help is easy to find.

Go to Pool School and read "SLAM" in the "How To" section. Then, follow that article exactly as it described....do not add anything or subtract anything. It will (slowly) get rid of your foam and will result in a crystal clear pool.

I'll say this again.....floc is your enemy. You are doing no favors to yourself by adding floc.

BTW, this whole forum begins and ends with test results.....can you post them for us?

FC 16
CC 2
TA 130
CH 260
CYA below 30
For now, my plans are to stay at shock level until my CC is .5 or below. Correct?
You have three criteria to meet. The first is that the water is clear. That means all the way down, after brushing, and no algae on the walls, either.

If that one passes, test FC and CC after the sun is off the pool. If CC is less than .5, that part passes. If not, raise FC.

When the water is clear AND the CC is less than .5, run the overnight loss test. If that passes, you whoop with joy and let the FC level drop for a day or two so you can get accurate test results and adjust everything else. If you didn't pass the overnight test, you add more bleach and mutter darkly about how long it's taking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.