Polaris Booster Hums for a second but won't start

Jul 15, 2013
Germantown, TN
Upon opening our pool last weekend I noticed that our polaris booster pump will hum for a few seconds when I turn it on but won't start. I replaced the capacitor already as it seemed like that was a common thing to break that is relatively easy/cheap to fix. Are there any other easy things to check? I don't want to spend another $30/$60 on troubleshooting components if i'm going to need a new motor in the end anyways.

The actual model is an A.O. Smith 1081.

Thanks in advance for any advice...

-Jason

I'm not sure if that motor has a start switch. If it does, it migh be corroded or stuck open. How old is the motor? Can you post a picture of the back with the electrical cover off?

There is also a possibility that the capacitor is gone. If there is a safe was to try and help spin it at start up that would tell you if it's the capacitor.

There is also a possibility that the capacitor is gone. If there is a safe was to try and help spin it at start up that would tell you if it's the capacitor.

Thanks! I actually replaced the capacitor on top of the pump first. It was only $14 and easy to do...and my initial reading said that was the most common part to break. Unless you're talking about a different capacitor internal to the motor I think I've already changed it...

The serial number indicates that the motor was manufactured in 2004. Eleven years is a pretty good run. It might be time for a new pump if the voltage is good and you can't find anything obvious.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.