Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris Booster Hums for a second but won't start

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris Booster Hums for a second but won't start

Upon opening our pool last weekend I noticed that our polaris booster pump will hum for a few seconds when I turn it on but won't start. I replaced the capacitor already as it seemed like that was a common thing to break that is relatively easy/cheap to fix. Are there any other easy things to check? I don't want to spend another $30/$60 on troubleshooting components if i'm going to need a new motor in the end anyways.

The actual model is an A.O. Smith 1081.

Thanks in advance for any advice...

-Jason

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Polaris Booster Hums for a second but won't start

It's probably seized. You can get to the back of the shaft by removing the shaft cover. Then a 1/2" wrench can spin the shaft to break it loose.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    It's probably seized. You can get to the back of the shaft by removing the shaft cover. Then a 1/2" wrench can spin the shaft to break it loose.
    Thanks for the tip James. I went out and tried that and unfortunately no luck. I was able to spin the shaft...but the motor still just hums then shuts off. Probably burnt out you think?

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm not sure if that motor has a start switch. If it does, it migh be corroded or stuck open. How old is the motor? Can you post a picture of the back with the electrical cover off?

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks James. I'm at work now so I can't take the plate off...but here's a pic of the nameplate of the motor. We just bought this house last year and some of the pool documentation is lacking...not exactly sure how old it is. Should I take the cover off when I get home and look for obvious corrosion?

Capture.jpg

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

There is also a possibility that the capacitor is gone. If there is a safe was to try and help spin it at start up that would tell you if it's the capacitor.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
    There is also a possibility that the capacitor is gone. If there is a safe was to try and help spin it at start up that would tell you if it's the capacitor.
    Thanks! I actually replaced the capacitor on top of the pump first. It was only $14 and easy to do...and my initial reading said that was the most common part to break. Unless you're talking about a different capacitor internal to the motor I think I've already changed it...

8. Back To Top    #8

The serial number indicates that the motor was manufactured in 2004. Eleven years is a pretty good run. It might be time for a new pump if the voltage is good and you can't find anything obvious.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Yes you did in that first post and I completely missed it. Nope, that's the one I was thinking of, sorry.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!