Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which VSP to integrate withGL-235 solar controler

1. Back To Top    #1

Which VSP to integrate withGL-235 solar controler

Hey everybody,,New here first time posting,,,need some advice her in Tampa. Which VSP/2 speed pump will work with which solar controler?? I would like to replace my 1.25 single Flow Pro with a VSP AND integrate with the solar set up I have now (if possible) Solar controler now is a Hayward GL-235 (looks basic ),,my big question is which make/model VSP (or even 2 speed) should I get to try and interface with the Hayward Gold Line solar controler. My guess is this solar controler in NOT compatable with any inteligent pump controler so I would need to upgarde the solar controler as well,,,,correct? Teco electric rates are @ $.055 first 1,000 kwh then $.065 above the 1,000. I will spend the money, just want to get the correct equipment. I will do all the work myself. Not sure of the square ft of the solar panels but covers a good portion of roof. Any help/advice will be great !
    12,000 Gal Exposed Aggregate, 1.25 HP Jandy FloPro @ 230 ACV, Jandy CS100 100 sqft cart , Nature2 Fusion inground/ inline clorinator with mineral cart , Paramount Clear o3 ozonater , Intermatic basic dial timer, Hayward Goldline GL-235 solar control w unknown area of solar panels on roof / Tampa Florida .

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Which VSP to integrate withGL-235 solar controler

Welcome to TFP!

Your electric rates are low enough that you are not going to pay back the investment in a variable speed pump. So the total lifetime costs will end up being higher with a variable speed.

To work with GL-235 you need a pump that can have it's speed changed with a low voltage input. Some of the pumps which support that include the EcoStar (standard), IntelliFlo (with an IntelliComm 2 add on), and SuperFlo VS (standard). There are probably a couple of others, as I am not familiar with absolutely everything.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Jasonlion.,, Thanks very much for your quick reply! So it sounds like my GL-235 will NOT NEED TO BE CHANGED ?? Thats fantastic!
    Could I please ask you how do I interface the 2 speed pump(s) you mentioned with the GL-235 ? I did not see rs-232 or serial connector jack available....if you could answer that,free swim for you here in Tampa !! lol
    12,000 Gal Exposed Aggregate, 1.25 HP Jandy FloPro @ 230 ACV, Jandy CS100 100 sqft cart , Nature2 Fusion inground/ inline clorinator with mineral cart , Paramount Clear o3 ozonater , Intermatic basic dial timer, Hayward Goldline GL-235 solar control w unknown area of solar panels on roof / Tampa Florida .

4. Back To Top    #4

Also, I am leaning towards the PENTAIR SUPER FLOW for $597. But it is a variable speed..(which is fine , but up front was more $$ ) My question on this is, will I need a interface control board to control my GL-235 solar with this pump.??
    I am searching the install manual and I cant find any info on this..

Thanks again !

5. Back To Top    #5

Jasonlion,,, Thank you very much for your quick reply earlier. (i thought I sent it prior to the last posting..) So you think the GL-235 has a communication interface available already on it? So that it will be able to talk w VS / 2 speed pumps?

It is not as easy to find 2 speed pumps for some reason,,,easier to find VS...hmmm

6. Back To Top    #6

The GL-235 should have a relay to turn on a solar booster pump, or if your doesn't have it, the relay can be added on. That relay is able to be wired to one of the external pump control lines (STEP 1) on the SuperFlo VS.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

The GL-235 solar controler has a power bar at the bottom that the .PDF says can control a HIGH VOLTAGE booster pump. Does the SuperFlo VS looking for high voltage? It doe NOT appear so according to the Pentair instalIMG_20150412_093454.jpgl manual.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_20150412_093432.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Full view
    GL-235 ___ 1.jpg

8. Back To Top    #8

This is a picture of a hayward GLX relay...is this the correct part to bump the VS pump to STEP 1 ?
    GLX-relay.jpg

9. Back To Top    #9

The GL-235 does not supply power on the booster pump contacts, it is a simple relay. That can be connected to the external pump control, as I mentioned earlier.

10. Back To Top    #10

Ohhh....it just looks like it is supplying high voltage AC at those right most wire connectors. So to put this to rest (thanks again for your patients) I should connect those terminals to the Step 1 side on the Pentair.,correct? No relay needed ?

11. Back To Top    #11

So the J5 connector (white connector/pictured here) above the GL-235 solar controller's relays..??.. I wonder what might connect to that. Install .pdf says for solar actuator valves...but at least these are low voltage.
    Anyone else care to assist?

J5 connector.JPG

12. Back To Top    #12

If it is for a solar valve actuator then it would open the valve to the solar panels when solar heat is available and close the valve when solar is not available.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks for the reply pooldv. So back to my original question... where / how would i connect the future Pentair Superflo VS pump STEP 1 setting/connection to this Hayward GL-235 solar controller.? Jasonlion said I might need a relay to connect between the 2 devices. Where would this relay connect to on the GL-235 controller, please?
    GL-235 ___ 1.jpg

14. Back To Top    #14

I am not very familiar with the GL-235, but I do not think it can control a VS pump.

Now, I do know that you can control a VS pump with a Pentair Solartouch. It can take the 24v control wire and turn on the VS pump and select the appropriate speed on the pump. The Solartouch is 260 bucks at sunplay.com and I am very happy with it.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach