Equipment pad make-over...some experienced advice on selecting equipment needed

Apr 9, 2015
Dayton, Ohio
My old Jacuzzi Tri-Clops cartridge filter system is showing it's age, and the filters are getting harder (and more expensive) to find. I'm going to replace the system this spring, and could use some advice.

We live in a rural area, with farm fields on 2 sides and a woods to the back. Needless to say we deal with a lot of blown debris in dust, chemical over-spray, and leaves. Last year I probably averaged taking the filter apart every 3-5 days and hosing them off.

I'm leaning towards a DE filter and loading it with Fiber (not DE) so I can backwash directly to the ground. However, when I see what new systems are being put in around here it seems sand filters & cartridges are still more popular.

My questions are: What would you recommend; sand, a new cartridge or DE system? Something else?
Would I be better off to put in a sand filter as a primary filter, then back it up with a smaller DE or cartridge system?

I also read through the discussion around head pressure, pipe sizes and pump sizing. Any advice on matching a new pump to the filtration system? The old pump still works, but it's 15+ years old, and pretty expensive to operate, so a 2 speed or VS will be needed. As a part of the make-over I plan to change the pipe sizing above the ground. What I have now are 3 inlets (main drain and 2 skimmers) all with 1.5" that connect through 2 multi-port valves. Then 1.5" that goes back to the pool (with a bypass for the heater). I plan to put individual shut off's on each inlet, then connect them to a 2" that will feed the pump/filter and heater. Hopefully that will make it quieter as well.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Eddie

Most people tend to like the filter type that they have. They all have +/-. See http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/160-pool-filter-comparison
The most important factor is that it is properly sized for your pool and I would never recommend using 2 filters.
You have a big pool, but a shorter pool season. These are the minimum filter sizes I would recommend:
400 sqft cartridge or 30" diameter sand or 72 sqft DE

For the pump, you just want the minimum flow required for your needs. With a spa, you have to size the pump for that. If you current pump runs the spa well, then that is the size you need. But, I would suggest getting a 2-speed and then only run on high when the spa is running or for backwashing.

When replumbing, do not use cheap PVC ball valves, use the better pool valves.

Thanks for the response. Ruling out the 2 filter idea, and sizing up a filter selection is really helpful.
Any thoughts (good or bad) about the Fiber in a DE filter? I've read a dozen posts, but I am surprised more people haven't switched since nearly all of the posts have been positive.

I live in a more rural area with lots of dust as well. Pool that came with the house had an old FSN60 Pentair DE filter. I did exactly what you are talking about doing... converted all the above-ground plumbing from 1 1/2" to 2" from where the diverter valve on the intake lines from the skimmer/main drain come in, throught the pump/filter/heater/SWCG to the diverter valve on the return lines. Makes sense to me that if you have two 1 1/2" lines coming into your pump from the skimmers and main drain (that's my setup, 3 intake lines total), you should go to 2" as you have almost an equal amount of flow that a 3" line would deliver with just two 1 1/2" lines combined. Yes, it quited things down in the sense that I don't have to run my VS pump at a higher rpm to achieve the same flow rates due to less pipe resistance/head pressure. I also installed a new high flow multi-port valve on the filter when I did the work.

As for the filter, that Pentair FSN60 is the largest DE filter Pentair makes. I use Aqua Perl as my filter media (previous owner was using it) and it works quite well. Really keeps the water clean. I'm in the Northeast, so typically I only have to clean the filter once in about July and once again in late August/early September (I open first part of April and keep it open through October until the water temps drop to at least 54). I almost never backwash, just pull the filter apart and hose the grids off. Takes a bit more time, but with as little as I need to do the maintenance, I know it is completely clean and am assured that it is charged every time with the proper amount of filter media. Not so easy to be reassured of that when backwashing. Overall, probably wouldn't switch from this set-up if given the opportunity. I like it.

Boeks - Sounds like I'm on the right track and good to hear your experience was positive with the set up. I'm going to go with the 72 DE filter, as JBLizzlle suggests, but stick with the Fiber idea and switch to the VS pump.

Thanks to you both for the feedback

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.