Hayward Super Pump leak

JoanC

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 26, 2012
Rome, GA
Good Morning!

I have a 1 hp single speed Hayward SP with probably some pretty good age on it. Pump was with pool when we bought the house 14 years ago. We replaced the motor on it a few years back. I'm not sure exactly how many. I replaced the gasket around the strainer opening and the strainer basket itself last year. At that time, a leak was quite visible and the source taken care of.

I now have a leak which appears to come from underneath the pump and is increasing in amount. A few weeks back I thought the concrete was just damp from rain but it has not dried up, it has increased. It remained only very damp until I backwashed yesterday and there was a slow flow of water coming out from under the pump. It stopped after I put the filter on rinse, then to waste to get rid of some extra water, then back to filter.

I searched and read all the posts and articles I could find pertaining to pump & side suction leaks on the forum and finally gave up to ask for opinions this morning.

The pad stays very damp.
There is water flow(not gush) from under the pump upon backwash.
I see no visible leaks under the pump.
No air bubbles from jets.
Skimmer has plenty of water/no vortex.
I have not tried/ checked anything with pump off. I run 24/7.

Note arrows in pics please.
Is the blue arrow pointing to the ceramic seal I've read about?
The yellow arrow is pointing to a cracked/missing section of this part it appears.
Could this be the problem or part of the problem?
Excuse the debris around everything. We've had lots of wind lately.
And the yellow dust is pollen!

I'm hoping the increased water leaking with backwashing tells someone something.
What else do I need to check for please?

And am I remembering correctly that running a pump with a leak can lead to bearing damage?

Thank you,
Joan

Attachments

• IMG_1835.jpg
    IMG_1835.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1836.jpg
    IMG_1836.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 46
Most likely the seal. Get the PSK-HA2 seal kit. There are videos on YouTube about changing a seal.

Another possibility is that the mta coming out of the pump is leaking, but that should be visible.

Thank you again James.
I would like to keep it running because Cl level is low. About 1-2 right now due to getting rid of some iron stains. I have a quart of polyquat in it which will help prevent algae growth but still worry about not running. I'm waiting on my sequestrant to get here on Tuesday to finish this process.
Hopefully I can get my repairman to look at it the first of the week so I don't run into more issues.
I think this is above my pay grade so to speak. Even with your expert guidance :).

I did look at a current Super Pump parts list, presuming the parts are very similar, and the part I thought was maybe the ceramic seal is the seal plate.
The diagram shows a notch on the seal plate where I thought it was cracked or missing a section so mine seems to be fine at least on the top.

I just wanted the opinion of you guys who have seen and done so much. You never steer me wrong!

Thanks again,
Joan

I've still not been able to get anyone to open up my pump and see what's going on with it. It's been raining here everyday with intermittent storms for over a week so backwashing and drain to waste has been a must. I know the leak didn't fix itself miraculously but it hasn't gushed out with backwashing. Today it's finally sunny and the concrete pad even appears to be dryer. I'm still waiting for my repairman to get back with me on a time he can get here take a look at it. It's still running with my fingers crossed everyday. Just wanted to let you all know where I am with this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.