Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool seems to be losing water through water jets in overflow spa

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool seems to be losing water through water jets in overflow spa

Hello all! Our pool is losing a lot more water than it should be through normal evaporation. A bucket test confirms this. I've isolated it down to my overflow spa with the primary suspicion being the water jets.

• When I set directional valve to not put water into the spa (just thru the regular pool jets) no water seems to be lost in main pool.
    • When not adding water to spa, the water level seems to settle at the spa jets.
    • What's strange is that the water doesn't settle to any of the jet nozzles. It seems to be settling just above all the jet fixtures.
    • Also the spa water appears to be settling to the water level of the pool (although I'm not 100% certain since its hard to gauge with the waterfall rocks in the way). Someone thought that perhaps the water was just settling back into the pool. Seems like a good theory except if this were true then I shouldn't be losing water overall!

I've attached some pictures. Please help! Would love some advice... Water bills are starting to get expensive. Thanks!!!

IMG_2702.jpg

IMG_2704.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool seems to be losing water through water jets in overflow spa

That sounds like a leak between the jet body and the spa wall. I would fill the spa up, let it settle down, and then try doing a dye test around each of the jets.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    That sounds like a leak between the jet body and the spa wall. I would fill the spa up, let it settle down, and then try doing a dye test around each of the jets.
    Thanks Jason, I'll give this a try. Do you know if these jets are typically removable and replaceable? Sorry I'm still sort of a pool newbie. Thanks.

4. Back To Top    #4

Did you ever solve your spa losing water problem? I may have the same issue.