Sand Filter Cleaner and more

Oct 14, 2009
Good Morning, yesterday I went to the pool store to get my Polaris fixed. While I was there I had them check my water. I typically use my own Taylor Test kit to check my water. There were a few differences in my results and theirs.

CYA 36 - mine the same. I have been raising this using the sock method in front of the return
FC 8 - mine 7.5 (close) - I added bleach because of high use last weekend have been doing overnight test before I lower it. I am now letting it get back to normal
PH 7.7 mine about 7.5
TA 87 mine 90
CH -162 mine 180 - is this important for a fiberglass pool? I also have a gas heater if that makes a difference.
Salt 2300 mine 3200 big difference - I use the K-1766 Taylor salt kit ( should I trust my results?)
Phosphates 2,000 ( I don't test for phosphates - Should I?

Also while I was there they said I should yearly use a filter cleaning chemical like Kleen It or Strip Kwik. Do I need to do that? I have a sand filter.

Thanks for the help!

No to the SF cleaner, the phosphates, and don't worry about the CH. While a little low technically for a FG pool, the CH will come up pretty soon if you have any in your makeup water at all. It concentrates as water evaporates from the pool, and you put more in when you refill.

As with all the tests, trust your results. If you question it, run it again and see. If you are careful at all, you'll see what I mean. Trust your results, not theirs.

You can ignore phosphates. Salt tests are more of a ballpark test. If your SWCG is happy and making chlorine then you are OK.

Recommended CH for a FG pool is 220-320, not sure if you should try to raise that or not. Here is a link to the recommended level. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/134-recommended-levels

Can't help with the sandfilter.

Your numbers look good! Everything seems well under control.

Close agreement!:D

CYA 36 - mine the same. I have been raising this using the sock method in front of the return
FC 8 - mine 7.5 (close) - I added bleach because of high use last weekend have been doing overnight test before I lower it. I am now letting it get back to normal
PH 7.7 mine about 7.5
TA 87 mine 90
CH -162 mine 180 - isC this important for a fiberglass pool? I also have a gas heater if that makes a difference.​

I'd call the differences within the limits of experimental error. Unless you or the dealer want to use burettes, balances accurate to 0.1 mg, and analytical chemistry methods as we did in my Quantitative Analysis course many years ago you can't expect much closer agreement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.