CYA help, please

tgenre

Apr 4, 2014
Denham Springs, LA
My pool was just emptied, acid washed and refilled. I can now see my Diamond Brite instead of white "cream"! It looks great. I'm tweaking the chemistry and have been testing/adjusting daily to get to the sweet spot. I'm rather puzzled this morning. Yesterday, my CYA was 30. I put a gallon of liquid conditioner in the pool yesterday afternoon and ran the pump all night. This morning, my CYA is still 30. I know that with solid CYA, it can take a week. I've not experienced this with liquid CYA. Here's my numbers this morning:

FC: 3
Ph: 7.8
TA: 100
CH: 325
CYA: 30
Salt: 3600
Borates: 0 (haven't added yet)
CSI: 0.1

Explanation or advice is appreciated! Of course, my concern is adding more and then discovering I have too much CYA. :confused:

Liquid takes time to show up on testing also. It is one of the reasons we just recomend solid in a sock an the liquid doesn't give a lot of value add for the additional cost.

Don't add more, it will eventually sho up on testing.

Give the Cya some time, and retest in several day to get a new reading. Just assume what you put in is there and plan your FC for it.

Watch the pH. At TA 100 and a "new finish" it will want to rise on you, especially with the SWG.

Borates are totally optional, so don't worry about them right now. Get a feel for managing Cya, pH, FC, and TA for now.

Thank you both. I'm watching the ph daily. My pool is 1.5 years old and I've ALWAYS had to add MA more frequently that I thought I should. I was hoping this season would be better, since the plaster has some age on it now. I guess removing the "cream" makes it like new again? I'm currently dropping the Ph and aerating in hopes of getting that TA down some (this was not an issue before the drain, wash and refill).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.