North Eastern Ohio pool opening

Jul 19, 2014
Hudson Ohio
I think I am going to open the pool next weekend. The last time I looked under the cover before the ice set in the water was crystal clear. I probably need to add a thousand gallons to the pool. I had tried one of the skimmer covers so as not to have to drain it down but when ice set in the thing kept leaking so I drained below the skimmer anyways. Oh well I won't try that again.

Is there anything in particular I should look out for during the opening?

Should I bother testing the water before I refill it or just do it after?

I need to replace the eyeball insert for the return totally screwed that up removing it when I closed the pool in the fall. I am also thinking of hard plumbing the lines this season.

If you are chlorinating with pucks then you might want to test your CYA to make sure it isn't too high before filling.

thanks pooldv, I do use tablets in an external chlorinator but did monitor CYA regularly last season. I took a hybrid approach using the tablets to maintain and adjusted the chlorine levels with bleach. So far that approach seemed to work pretty well and I only ran the pool 3x per day for 3 hours each cycle.

You'll need to fill it up to the skimmers to get the pump running and you need the pump to do the SLAM. Add water, test and adjust pH if needed and SLAM.

Attachments

• SLAM a dirty pool med.jpg
    SLAM a dirty pool med.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 42
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.