Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Heater Replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Heater Replacement

Almost hate to stir this pot... but I'm looking to replace a 15 year old Laars Lite (millivolt) 325,000 NatGas Heater.
    Thought my choices (live in South Jersey, near Philly) were Pentair MasterTemp or RayPak. Now I'm thinking that it's Pentair MT or Hayward Universal-H. One local dealer who carried RayPak has switched to Pentair so the big two in this area both install Pentair, two others have Hayward.

So I'm looking for some genuine advice, guidance, etc. One company has offered to check out my old Laars first and apply the service cost if it can't be reasonable repaired to the new heater.

And yes I'd love to buy a heater for several hundred $$$'s less online, but I'm wary of being able to find someone to install and warranty issues if it's not purchased and installed by a "approved" dealer.
    18x40x3-8 IG, 28000 gal, Lazy-L, Liner, (New 27Mil Liner 2013), Sand Filter, 1.5HP Pump, Auto-Chlorinator, Laars-Lite 325N Heater, Aquabot Turbo Industrial.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Heater Replacement

Raypak's seem to get the most nods. Like you, none of my local guys carry Raypak so I'll be going with the Pentair master temp 400k btu heater. It seems to be the most common in these parts, I haven't heard any major complaints from home owners I spoke with.
    2015 Pool Build --> HERE IG 19'x47' w/ 7'x7' in pool spa; 3'6"-8' deep.
    Pentair 520 Filter, IntelliFlow VS XF Pump, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite/GloBrite LEDs, IntelliTouch w/Screenlogic2. 400K BTU heater. A&A G4V in-floor cleaning system. WetEdge Prism Matrix Pebble finish. TechoBloc Pavers and Coping.
    Test kits - Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD, K-1766 Salt, SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

I just put in a RayPak last season. Great so far. Would recommend. Installed myself as well.

18x36 29K gal Gunite - 1 HP Hayward Super Pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite - 40k Cell - 24" Hayward Pro Sand Filter
    Polaris 380 w/ booster - RayPak 336K BTU Propane Heater

Twitter: @jfgreco

4. Back To Top    #4

Raypak is for sure the way to go. Had one for over 15 years. Replaced it a few years ago. It has the least moving parts. While the MasterTemp is also good, it has a blower motor which probably will need replacement at some point. The Raypak requires no blower motor unless you need the LOW NOx version. Also look at the ASME version, heavier duty headers and Heat Exchanger.

5. Back To Top    #5

We have a master temp at our vacation house. Not a fan of it. I prefer my RayPak over the master temp 100%.

18x36 29K gal Gunite - 1 HP Hayward Super Pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite - 40k Cell - 24" Hayward Pro Sand Filter
    Polaris 380 w/ booster - RayPak 336K BTU Propane Heater

Twitter: @jfgreco

6. Back To Top    #6

RayPak/Rheem both excellent and the brand I have. Both the same company now, or same heater.

However, the Pentair seems to be a most excellent choice as well. More compact too.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem