Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air bubbles in pump lid

1. Back To Top    #1

Air bubbles in pump lid

So I've been chasing what I think or thought was a suction side leak for several weeks. There is a fair amount of bubbles in my pump lid plexi-glass. I've checked and lubed the lid O-ring, checked the skimmer level, checked the pump drain plugs, and all the exposed PVC joints. My pool doesn't have a main drain at the bottom. This evening I removed the actual strainer basket from the pump and the bubbles disappeared. However, after a couple of on/off cycles of the pump, they eventually returned. So, I'm stumped again. I guess my next step is to pressure test the lines and ensure that the in ground plumbing is fine. Any ideas or suggestions?

Kevin T
    16' x 32' Vinyl Liner Grecian Pool. 20,000 Gallons. Sta-Rite SuperMax 1HP Pump (PHK2RA6E-102L). W. Cooper Ranger Series 25" Sand Filter. Dolphin Nautilus Plus.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Air bubbles in pump lid

If the air went away after you opened the pump and put the lid on once, I would expect the issue to be with the pump lid o ring ... Maybe it is deformed?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Maybe. The problem really went away when I removed the pump basket. But with a couple of on/off cycles they came back. I guess a new O-ring is worth a try. The pump isn't but 2 years old....maybe 3 at this point. Speaking of buying a new O-ring, is anybody familiar with:

http://www.poolandspapartsdepot.com/

Kevin T
    16' x 32' Vinyl Liner Grecian Pool. 20,000 Gallons. Sta-Rite SuperMax 1HP Pump (PHK2RA6E-102L). W. Cooper Ranger Series 25" Sand Filter. Dolphin Nautilus Plus.

4. Back To Top    #4

Kevin, I had the same problem and it went away when I replaced the o-ring. I used Amazon. Get more than one, it wasn't very long until the o-ring got deformed again.

You can also check the o-rings in all of the upstream unions. Them ensure that the unions themselves are screwed in pretty tight.

Drew
    Honduras

5. Back To Top    #5

Also, with the power OFF, open the lid and remove the basket. Stick your fingers down in there and see if there are leaves/debris on the impeller. When I fist got my house, there was all kinds of junk on the impeller and it was causing bubbles under the lid.
    10,000 gallon in ground diamond brite, Circupool si30+, Hayward C900 cartridge, 1.5hp Flotec single speed pump

6. Back To Top    #6

I took the lid off and took the o-ring out as well as disassembled the plexi top and cam ring. I washed everything down and got all the residual lubricant and grime out. I noticed the o-ring was a little slack when I reseated it in the lid so I ordered a new one. With a thin layer of lubricant on the ring the seal is pretty good now. There's only a single small bubble in the lid now. So, it appears my problem may have been o-ring after all. We'll see when the new one arrives in the mail. $5 for a rubber ring. Sheesh!

Kevin T

7. Back To Top    #7

Got the O-ring in the other day. Finally got around to installing it. Lubed it up. Still bubbles. Now what?

Kevin T

8. Back To Top    #8

Try putting shaving cream all over the joints and seals and see if it is sucked in anywhere.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

I did that as well. I may have to get the lines pressure tested. There's probably less than 18" of piping coming out of the ground before going into the pump and I've checked and rechecked almost all the connections.

Kevin T