Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anyone use Sun Rings?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyone use Sun Rings?

Anyone use these to help conserve energy? Thinking about one for spa. Thoughts?
    http://http://www.solarsunrings.com/about.html

image.jpg
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anyone use Sun Rings?

Search the forum for their use in pools, not recommended. But might work in the spa to retain heat.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

There have been quite a few discussions on these. Doesn't seem to get good reviews here.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Great! Thanks!
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I used them for a couple seasons in my pool. More a hastle than they were worth IMO. A single one on a spa might be a much better situation however. It wasn't that they didn't work, it was that putting a dozen of them in the pool was a pain and then wind would bunch them up, gunk grew in water on top of them, and other minor issues like that.

If I had a spa I would probably use one in it, since I already have them.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't think I would want to deal with a bunch of them on a pool for sure. Here in TX the pool will be hot for a large portion of the year - but I will be heating my spa with propane - which can be pricey - so I was thinking of ways to help conserve a little energy. It will be a 7' round spa - so I would think that one 5' spa ring would help a little - and it shouldn't be too much of a problem to move it out of the way. But I can TOTALLY understand the struggle of having tons of them - I can't even imagine how you would deal with a bunch on the pool every day! But the idea that they feel dirty after you use them for a while - not sure I can deal with that.

Anyone have a specific brand that is better than another? Since I am only having to buy one, price difference probably wouldn't be a big deal.
    ~Wendy

7. Back To Top    #7

You want the biggest you can fit. I would even suggest buying a piece of solar cover and cutting it to shape.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbaby View Post
    I don't think I would want to deal with a bunch of them on a pool for sure. Here in TX the pool will be hot for a large portion of the year - but I will be heating my spa with propane - which can be pricey - so I was thinking of ways to help conserve a little energy. It will be a 7' round spa - so I would think that one 5' spa ring would help a little - and it shouldn't be too much of a problem to move it out of the way. But I can TOTALLY understand the struggle of having tons of them - I can't even imagine how you would deal with a bunch on the pool every day! But the idea that they feel dirty after you use them for a while - not sure I can deal with that.

Anyone have a specific brand that is better than another? Since I am only having to buy one, price difference probably wouldn't be a big deal.
    There are also a lot of closed foam floating insulation blankets for sale online. I got one from rhtubs and will let you know if it reduces my energy consumption at all.
    Aquaterra Verona Costo Especiale
    290 gal (nominal, haven't measured a fill yet), Ozonator, only 110v so the pump runs often
    PH 7.2, TA 90, CH 130, CYA 30, Borate 50