More last minute thoughts! Upgrading Jets - Waterways Poly storm or TwirlyByrd?

My hot tub is planned for 5 jets that run off of the main pool pump, a pentair variable speed Intelli-Flo pump, and an air blower, both of which are a straight run of 35" from the hot tub (Not sure what information may be helpful here).

The one thing that I wasn't thrilled with regarding my gunite hot tub that is being built along with my pool is that I have never seen one with the same sort of therapy jets that are in fiberglass hot tubs. As I was complaining about this to my husband he said "have you googled that" and other I found myself reading about waterways Polystorm, and twirlybird jets.

Based on the product literature I can am leaning towards a combination of Waterways polystorm massage, twister and maybe twin roto jets, but I'm unsure of several things and I'm hoping all of you can help!

- Does anyone have any experience with these jets? Do they perform well?
- Will I have enough pressure?
- Can the waterways jets be changed out if I hate them?
- Can I have 7 jets? Or do I need to move down to 5 in order to have the pressure I need

This is a ridiculously last minute question on my part, and I apologize for that. The plumbing goes in Monday morning and I am overwhelmed with being quite sick and trying to make a bunch of last minute decisions.

pool rendering.jpg.

Thanks!

Hi AuroraB, thanks for your post. I have hip and back issues, so I'm very interested in this. Thank your husband for me about googling the jets. I google everything - can't believe I didn't think to do so! My pool hasn't even been dug yet, so I'm rushing to Google to research the ones you mentioned. I'll let you know if I find something different. My spa is to have 12 jets, but only a 2hp 2speed pump, a 1hp pump and an additional spa pump. I don't know if special jets would be overkill, and now I'm definitely wondering about having a enough pump power. I hope you get some experienced responses!

BTW, your pool is going to be gorgeous!!! And hope you're feeling better soon. Stress of pool building doesn't help, right?! Take care, Suz.

With appropriate plumbing you shouldn't have any problem running 7 jets like those with an IntelliFlo pump. You will want at least 2" pipe, preferably larger, and all of the other equipment (filter, heater, etc) needs to be sized large enough to support the required flow rates.

Adding jets like those has been getting more common. It is still fairly rare, but I see it mentioned more and more recently.

Thanks Jason!

We have 2 1/2 inch suction and returns.

Do you know can these jets be switched out?

Suzfromtexas, thanks! It is coming along, I just want to make sure I get the most jets that I can given the equipment I have, and they arrive to plumb it in 18 hours! Arg. Tomorrow I will be much better, the only remaining decision is waterline tile, and finalizing th plan for he covered area.

If the Jets are 15 gpm jets there shouldn't be an issue but if they are 25 gpm jets then it will be a problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
5, 6, or 7 jets depends on how you are planning to use them and what kind of effect you are looking for. You need to think about how much space you want to take up and how many people will be using the jet area at one time and will they be seated or standing or however you plan to arrange it.

I'm interested in how you like the Waterway. We have them in our spa and they are very difficult to switch out. We also had problems with the plumbing of them. We've had our pool about 7 years and they have faded in color. They work fine, but have been a challenge in using various pressures. Would be interested in seeing what else is on the market since our build. We are in the process of selling our home and will be building a new pool. We used our spa almost nightly, so we would like to have jets that can be easily switched, whether it's Waterway or Twirlybyrd, I'm not sure of yet. We will get our builders recommendation, but it's good to know what others have used and liked.

If they are all 10 GPM jets, flow rate/pressure shouldn't be problem at all. If my reference is wrong and they are actually 15 GPM jets, they you should still be fine with 7 of them but need to make sure the filter is large enough and the pipe is large enough. Problems start if they are actually all 20+ GPM jets, but the odds of that seem really low as most jets are 15 GPM, and the documentation seems to clearly say these specific are actually 10 GPM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.