Gizzmo unnecessary?

singerteacher

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2008
western Wisconsin
I have my pool "professionally" closed every year, but I open it myself in the spring. This year, I noticed that instead of using the Gizzmo, a standard plug was capping off the pipes in my skimmer. And, for some reason, an empty but capped bottle of pool antifreeze was sitting on top of the cap. Is there any rationale for not using the Gizzmo and capping off the system instead? (Last year, instead of using the Gizzmo, they put an empty antifreeze jug in the hole, upside-down.)

There should be something that will absorb the ice expansion placed in the skimmer. A gizzmo will do that, as will several other things, including a mostly empty bottle. Both of those approach work well, no reason to prefer one over the other.

So, it's okay to close up the pipes with a cap (as opposed to a Gizzmo or empty bottle)?

- - - Updated - - -

There was a rubber plug in the return pipe. But instead of a rubber plug or a Gizzmo or an empty bottle in the skimmer, there was a standard cap. The kind you twist on. The same kind that is used on the return jets.

The rationale is the empty bottle of antifreeze is free. That and they might not have had an extra Gizmo on the truck when they got to you.

I'm in Hudson and I too open myself but let a company close for me. They always use Gizmo's and if one goes bad they sell me a new one but they always stay here as they are mine. I'm surprised they didn't sell you one and just add it to your bill.

The upside down jug will a little water to weigh it down will work as it's function is to crush some should some water find it's way into your skimmer. If your cover leaked and water found it's way in there you want the jug to have just a little water (weight) in it so it would freeze at the bottom and not float. That way it displaces water and as the water freezes the jug collapses some to save the skimmer assembly.

I like the Gizmo better because it's much easier to take out.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, as long as the pipe at the bottom is sealed with some type of plug, that and the empty jug work fine.

Attachments

• Gizzmo skimmer plug.jpg
    Gizzmo skimmer plug.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 92
Editing because I think I misunderstood the reasons for the Gizzmo.

So, the Gizzmo is not screwed into the pipe in the skimmer box? That was my recollection -- I thought that I unscrewed it from the pipe in previous years.

Sorry for the confusion on my part.

A Gizzmo serves two purposes. It seals the pipe, and it provides something to crush if water freezes in the skimmer. A simple plug can be used to seal the pipe and a mostly empty bottle can be used to provide something to crush. The two together, plug and bottle, are equivalent to a gizzmo.

Okay, again I'm learning ... the Gizzmo screws into the pipe above the cap. I thought the Gizzmo was both capping and providing expansion protection for the pipes. Is it ever used like that? I could swear that at some point, I simply unscrewed the Gizzmo and looked at an open pipe ... but my memory has certainly failed me before!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, JasonLion ... you answered my question as I was posting it! I don't feel quite as crazy now.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, I see that the Gizzmo replaces cap and empty bottle.

I have been using the anti freeze gal jug that's half full in the skimmer boxes, I also pour the other 1/2 in each skimmer box.

I do keep an eye on my pool level leading up to when it freezes. I don't want water to fill the box and dilute the antifreeze to much. Maybe I'm over thinking the matter but the gal jug will float a bit and push upwards if the box fills with water leaving a 2inch ( my case) area below the floating jug. If the antifreeze has been diluted to much that area could freeze,expand and maybe crack the bottom of the box. A gizzmo screws into the bottom of the box and that can't happen.
I have never had a problem with the above, but It makes sense to me. That's why I keep an eye on the water level. Siphon with the garden hose if need be.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.