How to get leaves etc off of my new solar cover

Sep 12, 2013
Montgomery,Al
Looking for tips on how to get leaves etc off of my new solar cover. My pool is surrounded by oaks and pines on city property next to our property as well as a neighbors ginormous pine west of my pool (which also shades my pool starting at 2:30pm...:sigh: you would think living in the south I'd have a warm pool but due to neighbors shade early in the day it's a struggle. Put on a new 12 mil blue 2 days ago. I normally lose 2-3ppms of chlorine per day and have to add 1 gal bleach per day but I'm happy to report since adding the cover I have only lost 2 Ppms in 2 days which is fantastic........however, after only 2 days we had a bad storm last night and now the solar cover in covered with rain water, leaves and pine needles with some escaping into the pool. I feel like I'm back in the dead of winter faced with cleaning the top and pumping water off the winter cover. Now I'm questioning my purchase. Any suggestions?

I cut my cover into manageable strips and I use a leaf rake or net to "rake" the leaves into a pile and then I toss them. During the fall and winter, there are a lot and it gets messy. I am never able to get it all off. When it's really bad, I hang the cover on the fence and rinse it before I put it back on. Some people take the cover off in a way that allows most of what is on top to go directly into the skimmer. I have tried this method but I found it to be not much better than just taking them into a pile.

I wait a few days till the water evaps off the top of the cover then do the following...
Fold both short ends towards center about 3 feet. Fold both long ends towards center about 3 feet. Pull cover off the pool surface straight onto the yard. The fold should hold in any loose leaves and pollen. Then I skim surface with net to get any surface debris and take the cover to the driveway, broom it off, spray it down and leave it in the sun to dry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum JodieM :wave:

Plaese add your pool and equipment to your signature as outlined here - > http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/165-getting-started

I guess it depends on how nasty the stuff on top of your cover is. I use a hose screwed into my return and wet mine and try to scoop up all the leaves and needles I can. Previous owner planted pines just on the other side of the apron around the pool so I have two that have branches almost overhanging the water !! Don't get me started on needles !

Once I've scooped up all I can the rest goes into the pool as I roll up the cover on a reel. I also use that hose and the pool brush to occasionally wash down the top of the cover to keep it clean. If I need to add water then I'll use the garden hose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.