Considering buying a Intex sand filter pump

May 21, 2013
Tucson, Arizona.
I have an above ground pool 15x42 made by Swim N Play. I adapted a small intex pump, it does work OK. But it is now starting to shutdown after 15 minutes or so of running time. So I am thinking of upgrading to a an Intex Krystal clear sand pump. The one I am looking at has flow rate of 2,150 gallons per hour.

Looking for tips on similar set ups, if the small pump worked well, this should definitely be worth a shot. I have no experience with sand filter pumps.

Any tips or suggestion are welcome.

Well, I went ahead and bought the sand filter pump. $135 was a more than reasonable price, considering to replace the same I have is around $47 dls. plus cartridges. Can't wait to hook it up tomorrow. Thanks for the input Jason.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Krystal-Clear-Sand-Filter-Pump/33153775

4/17/2015

What a difference this pump makes. I am super pleased with the purchase. I also bought a Taylor K-2005 kit. I didn't realize that it was the K-2006 that I needed since I want to have the right tools when shocking. So I'll invest in that separate kit as well. I also need a reliable salt testing kit. Will do some research and purchase from products recommend by this group. The more I search for info in this forum, the more I realize how little I knew about pool maintenance. The amount of knowledge here is amazing, for DIY people you guys are life savers.

Last edited:
Well, my CS7110 swg died. Kept indicating code 91, I ended up adding too much salt since that error never went away. Out of warranty. Lasted 2 summers. I bought a new CS8110, I am draining about 40% of the water in the pool using pool math. I was in the middle of slamming the pool.

One question I have, Intex recommends a CYA 20-40 max 50 ppm. Would it be wise to increase it to 80 if everything else checks ok? ( FC,TC, CC, TZ, CH )

So far so good on my new additions. I like the SWG and the sand pump running on a timer. Keeps a solid 4.5 FC and 0 CC for the past 3 weeks. Now if you are buying an Intex SWG, I suggest to buy the one that produces 12g per hour, as opposed to 5 grams per hour. I have been running 4 hours a day with no problems.

By the way, Pool Math is extremely accurate.

Thanks again for your tips and help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.