Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Considering buying a Intex sand filter pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Considering buying a Intex sand filter pump

I have an above ground pool 15x42 made by Swim N Play. I adapted a small intex pump, it does work OK. But it is now starting to shutdown after 15 minutes or so of running time. So I am thinking of upgrading to a an Intex Krystal clear sand pump. The one I am looking at has flow rate of 2,150 gallons per hour.

Looking for tips on similar set ups, if the small pump worked well, this should definitely be worth a shot. I have no experience with sand filter pumps.

Any tips or suggestion are welcome.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Considering buying a Intex sand filter pump

The Intex sand filter and pump systems are excellent for the price, far better than the Intex cartridge filters.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Well, I went ahead and bought the sand filter pump. $135 was a more than reasonable price, considering to replace the same I have is around $47 dls. plus cartridges. Can't wait to hook it up tomorrow. Thanks for the input Jason.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Krys...-Pump/33153775

4/17/2015

What a difference this pump makes. I am super pleased with the purchase. I also bought a Taylor K-2005 kit. I didn't realize that it was the K-2006 that I needed since I want to have the right tools when shocking. So I'll invest in that separate kit as well. I also need a reliable salt testing kit. Will do some research and purchase from products recommend by this group. The more I search for info in this forum, the more I realize how little I knew about pool maintenance. The amount of knowledge here is amazing, for DIY people you guys are life savers.
    Last edited by azhiker71; 04-17-2015 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Update
    Above Ground Heritage Swim n' Play 15X42. Metal Frame. Intex CS8110 Krystal clear salt water system. Intex Sand pump Model SF70110 2600 gph.

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, my CS7110 swg died. Kept indicating code 91, I ended up adding too much salt since that error never went away. Out of warranty. Lasted 2 summers. I bought a new CS8110, I am draining about 40% of the water in the pool using pool math. I was in the middle of slamming the pool.

One question I have, Intex recommends a CYA 20-40 max 50 ppm. Would it be wise to increase it to 80 if everything else checks ok? ( FC,TC, CC, TZ, CH )
    Above Ground Heritage Swim n' Play 15X42. Metal Frame. Intex CS8110 Krystal clear salt water system. Intex Sand pump Model SF70110 2600 gph.

5. Back To Top    #5

OK, pool is filled up and pump has been running for a couple of hours is are my test results

Salt 3690 ppm
    FC 4.5
    TC 4.5
    CC 0
    PH 7.4
    TA 175
    CH 300
    CYA 30

A work in progress.

6. Back To Top    #6

Congrats in the new equipment and welcome to TFP! Yes, you should increase your cya to 70.

Read this TFPC for Beginners

And this, ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

And this, Water Balance for SWCGs
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

So far so good on my new additions. I like the SWG and the sand pump running on a timer. Keeps a solid 4.5 FC and 0 CC for the past 3 weeks. Now if you are buying an Intex SWG, I suggest to buy the one that produces 12g per hour, as opposed to 5 grams per hour. I have been running 4 hours a day with no problems.

By the way, Pool Math is extremely accurate.

Thanks again for your tips and help.

8. Back To Top    #8

Good news! We like the success stories.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach