New VSP, enough pressure for chlorinator?

Feb 5, 2015
Austin
Hello.

I just replaced a super noisy single speed pump with a new 1.5hp Hayward SP2300VSP Variable-Speed Pump. It works beautifully. It can push water with no problems at very low speed. My issue is the chlorine level. I don't think I have enough pressure at low speed to get any chlorine out of my Pentair 320 off-line chlorinator. Is this a common issue? I hate to have to run the pump at high speeds just to get chlorine in the pool and not take advantage of the VSP. Any ideas would be awesome. Thanks.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 53
Hi Mike, welcome to TFP! The pump should have no problem eroding the tablets in the chlorinator. If you are starting to see cloudy water, a high CYA level is more than likely the cause of the problem. Are you starting to see problems with water quality lately?

I just replaced the water a year ago in the spring of '14 after the CYA levels were above 100. The FC levels were held above 5 with little effort over the winter of '14. I hope the CYA is still low. I refuse to put any conditioner in the water for this reason. Last year I just did the chlorine pucks with perfect results. Water is getting a bit cloudy, but I chalked it up to the FC level being 0 right now.

I filled the chlorinator to the top and its barely dropping. Perhaps I need to run the pump longer at the low speed? Currently 1 hour at 3000rpm and 8 hours at 2000rpm.

Try running the pump on a high speed longer to see if the tablets are eroding faster. If not maybe the problem is in the chlorinator. Pentair has a Rainbow 320 PDF online to get some tips about the chlorinator. The maxflo vs pumps about 40 gpm at 20 ft. of head at 2000 rpm. Depending on your plumbing set up that should be more than enough to erode tablets.

Kadavis, welcome to TFP

MikeInAustin, I believe there is a modification you can make to the tablet feeder to feed more chlorine, it involves moving the water feed tube to the top of the tablet feeder. This should be described in their manual. Also, if you haven't done this already, remember to turn up the feed knob on the tablet feeder.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.