Spa pump tripping breaker

squib

Apr 2, 2015
TX
Went out to get in the hottub last night and it wasn't so hot. Today found out that the breaker wouldn't reset. Unplugged things one at a time and found out that it seems to be the pump tripping the breaker. The pump motor shaft spins freely and I have no leaks. In fact, I changed out the wet end last week and it worked fine until today. Any thoughts on what I can do? Would the pump just start tripping the breaker all of a sudden?

That could be a defective circuit breaker, water that has gotten into the electrical system, a short inside the pump, and so on.

One test is to disconnect the load wires at the breaker and see if the breaker resets. If that works reconnect the breaker, and disconnect the wire at the pump and see if it still works. That will tell you if it is the breaker, wiring, or pump.

That could be a defective circuit breaker, water that has gotten into the electrical system, a short inside the pump, and so on.

One test is to disconnect the load wires at the breaker and see if the breaker resets. If that works reconnect the breaker, and disconnect the wire at the pump and see if it still works. That will tell you if it is the breaker, wiring, or pump.

I disconnected the pump, and then the breaker didn't trip.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.