Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa pump tripping breaker

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa pump tripping breaker

Went out to get in the hottub last night and it wasn't so hot. Today found out that the breaker wouldn't reset. Unplugged things one at a time and found out that it seems to be the pump tripping the breaker. The pump motor shaft spins freely and I have no leaks. In fact, I changed out the wet end last week and it worked fine until today. Any thoughts on what I can do? Would the pump just start tripping the breaker all of a sudden?
    14,800 gallons in-ground vinyl. sand filter. 1.5 hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spa pump tripping breaker

That could be a defective circuit breaker, water that has gotten into the electrical system, a short inside the pump, and so on.

One test is to disconnect the load wires at the breaker and see if the breaker resets. If that works reconnect the breaker, and disconnect the wire at the pump and see if it still works. That will tell you if it is the breaker, wiring, or pump.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Spa pump tripping breaker

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    That could be a defective circuit breaker, water that has gotten into the electrical system, a short inside the pump, and so on.

One test is to disconnect the load wires at the breaker and see if the breaker resets. If that works reconnect the breaker, and disconnect the wire at the pump and see if it still works. That will tell you if it is the breaker, wiring, or pump.
    I disconnected the pump, and then the breaker didn't trip.
    14,800 gallons in-ground vinyl. sand filter. 1.5 hp pump