Beautiful pool, bad design. Can it be salvaged?

With this pool, we should...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 1, 2011
I've been a lurker for a few years on this forum. I had a relatively small, relatively simple pool in SW Florida until 1-1/2 years ago. We moved to Raleigh, NC and I bought a foreclosed home. The home is in a beautiful neighborhood and needed only surface work - the old owner had removed fixtures, door hardware and, well, the entire kitchen. These were easily replaced. UPS was bringing toilets, faucets and other home items every day for a few weeks. We tamed the beast and have been living in the home for over a year now. We enjoy the neighbors, the metro Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area and we like the climate. The pool has been another story.

The home has a gorgeous in-ground backyard oasis pool with a massive infinity edge, an infinity spa, beach entry, wet patio, etc. Unfortunately, the pool has some inherent design and construction flaws that are scaring pool repair companies. I've posted some photos.

The infinity edge leaks below the waterline tile.
The concrete pool edge ends below the waterline tile line. The builder applied mortar to build up the last 6" of infinity edge. This has separated from the main concrete pool. The pool leaks when I fill the pool above the waterline tile. It is so loose, we removed a section of the infinity edge spillway. I've got a photo of that area.

The interior surface has cracked. Apparently, this is a Pebbletec finish. The whole interior has long cracks running around the pool. It had sat dry for the 1-1/2 years the pool sat dry. Apparently, this cracks the finish.

The pool equipment was not installed well. The pump room in the pool house is quite a mess of romex. The glue joints look like I did them. Purple primer and glue runs down the pipes. All the pipes exit the concrete floor of the pool house. The professionals we called in have all been astonished at the 7-1/2 HP infinity edge pump and the 4" PVC feeding it. The infinity edge has 10 3" floor drains.

We've called in three pool companies. The quotes are all luxury car-type money. We factored that into the original price of the home. None of the three companies is willing to give us more than three months' warranty on the work they do. This concerns us deeply, so we haven't contracted with any repair company.

We have a few questions for the experts here:

1) Can new concrete be reliably bonded to the existing concrete edge?
2) Pool companies are now booked through summer. Do professional masons also repair pools? Are there major differences?

Mostly, I wanted to share the photos and story. The pool should end up being beautiful and fun. Please share your comments and suggestions.

Attachments

• Infinity Edge Overview.jpg
    Infinity Edge Overview.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 426
  • Infinity edge.jpg
    Infinity edge.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 430
  • Oops-No_Bonding.jpg
    Oops-No_Bonding.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 430
Welcome to TFP!

Stunning pool

1) Yes, but the surface prep is probably going to require removing some more concrete and building it back up. Also matching the top edge and keeping that level and free of voids will be tricky.

2) Most pool builders couldn't handle doing that edge correctly. You are going to need someone with extensive experience with either fountains or high end pools.

Repair what's necessary + a little more. Make it yours! That pool would be so impressive if it was fixed up. Maybe don't go with the pool companies but sort of sub each part of the job out yourself. Then maybe the companies you sub might give you a better warranty on their part of the job than the pool companies would. Just a thought. Good luck!

Welcome to the forum!

I can't add much of anything helpful, but I really hope you end up repairing this beautiful pool. As said, you need an advanced PB to do this work, and unfortunately, new Luxury car money to do it. But yes it can absolutely be done. You'll find someone to offer a better warranty.

Just curious, what are you going to do with it in the meantime while waiting on a repair should you decide on that?

As much as I wanted to choose A, I selected a more reasonable B. Easy for anyone to vote while not spending their own money. :lol:

As much as I wanted to choose A, I selected a more reasonable B. Easy for anyone to vote while not spending their own money. :lol:

Thanks, Patrick. I put the poll up knowing it is always fun spending other peoples' money.

The cost to fill and renovate the landscaping is close enough to the cost to repair that we'll choose to repair. Still, the effort is significant on our part, too. I prefer to hire the subs myself. I'm not more experienced than a pool designer/general contractor. I am more invested in my repair job, though.

I've contacted stone masons to do the vanishing edge. What contractor does the pool plaster work?

Pool Builders/Plaster/Renovation outfits do Plaster. Get one that is certified to do WetEdge or Pebbletech and your chances of getting a good one go up. If not one of these, get one you can check some re-dos on and go look at their work. If they are any good, they will be happy to provide you with more references than you care to look at. Do this no matter who/what outfit you choose. While it's very nice, you don't have to go back with Pebble. You could go with a top shelf Quartz which is a very good alternative, less expensive, and smoother to boot. Done well, a good Quartz will last 15 years pretty easy with decent care. Very durable.

Be very, very careful who you let repair that VE. There are issues apparent to PBs that need addressing which will never occur to a regular Mason. VEs need to be done properly, and this is extremely important.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ndemarco, that pool deserves to be salvaged! It would be too sad to live in a wonderful home and lovely neighborhood with that gorgeous pool buried. For me, it would always leave me with a bad taste. I also voted for the middle choice. Pay now for what absolutely must be done; the rest can come gradually later. Now, if you currently drive a moped and have that luxury car money waiting around earning low interest, then I vote "Go For It" and have a ball! (and fly me up to swim when it's all completed!)

But seriously, you will find a pool builder or subs who want this challenge. Get a pool magazine interested in your story. Can't you just see the amazing spread of photos??? What pool builder wouldn't want all that publicity and advertisement? I may not know what I'm talking about, but it seems plausible. I would love reading a story about bringing back a fabulous pool to its former and future glory.

Another thought.... If you haven't already, post your story and shout-out for help on other forums, too. My pool builder seems to love exciting new experiences and challenges. There are sure to be some guys in your area who have the expertise and would love it. Around here, there are landscape architectural firms who deal heavily with pool construction. They may have the expertise needed for your project. At the least, they might be able to point you in the right direction.

I'm crossing my fingers for you. Keep us posted!! Suz

- - - Updated - - -

Oh.... one more thought which you may have already done. Contact the author of the article you linked above. A professional witness consultant - he knows his stuff. He would probably be very interested in this project. I certainly am, and I don't even have a pool yet! Maybe he can refer you to the contractors you need. Good luck!

Ok Ndemarco, I can see where the voters stand so far - neck and neck with the first two. It's a great horse race! Where do you stand on it all? Have you had any luck getting more bids and advice? I hope so. The forum is speaking loudly - 95% of us want to see your lovely pool salvaged one way or the other. Keep us posted and best of luck! Suz

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.