Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sodium Bromide to SWCG

1. Back To Top    #1

Sodium Bromide to SWCG

Ok, I think I have finally converted my brother in law over to the "clean" side. It only took a conversion from bac with their first pool and always looking at ours to see the light. I do not have any numbers on his pool and I know his CYA is sky high so that will need to be addressed. My question is his pool has had a steady diet of tabs and No-mor-problems. I have never dealt with sodium bromide and I really don't know if you would call his pool a bromide pool. I know it's been on the same diet for over two years. I am fixing to plumb his SWCG and move him in that direction. What do I do with the Br? I know the CYA will need to come down. Right now my plan of attack is bring the CYA down, get the salt in, SLAM the pool, dial in the SWG. Do I need to add a step with the Br that's in the pool?
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sodium Bromide to SWCG

Some brands of SWG can be damaged by bromine in bromine pool level concentrations. Unfortunately, labeling about this vulnerability is very inconsistent.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

So I guess this entails a total drain then because of the Br. I think this is a classic example of pool stored. Them selling a product to an owner that has no idea what they are really doing to their pool over the long term. Most of the searches here deal with spa's and Br so it's only several hundred gallons. Where the pool is located it would be challenging to do a one time total drain. Southeast Texas is average 20 ft above sea level. My garden shallow well pulls at 18 ft. I guess I will tell him to find an inflatable ring pool that we can use a 2 inch pump to quickly refill his main pool once it's drained.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

4. Back To Top    #4

There seems to be no end to the ways people can be pool stored. But, once it's drained and refilled it is done and good to go!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach