Travertine Paver deck & coping - need to make a decision ASAP! :S

We are starting our pool build this week and I'm still in a complete state of indecision when it comes to what to do for my pool deck.

First a few things, I live in a very hot area within the San Francisco Bay area with a long pool season, and I will be installing 1,800 sq ft of decking, including a 600 sq ft covered patio area.

I need to make by a decision on the decking material by Monday, and I'm completely overwhelmed. I love the look of Travertine, and I can get it for an excellent price so it is only about $1.25 more a sq ft than some of the higher quality concrete pavers. My concern is, will it be too slippery? We have a 2 year old, and there will be toddler/preschool age children around the pool for many years to come, so enforcing a "no running" policy will be challenging.

There are many old posts on here with people saying their travertine is not at all slippery, yet there are others stating that they think it is very slippery, which leaves me very confused.

Can anyone with a travertine deck provide me with some insight?

I would most likely be using the tumbled Mocha Jura paver from Bedrosians in a french pattern http://www.bedrosians.com/products/TRVMOCJUR1624T

Thank-you!

Screen Shot 2015-04-07 at 3.46.09 PM.jpg

At least for the tumbled white/ivory color from Turkey that I just had installed last month it is not slippery at all, and it does not get hot in the sun! Love the product, love the look.

e295ff45-a91d-4fb2-a3bd-72d824353f8d.jpg

On the other hand, thinking about spending $$$ every other year to seal it because I went with a salt water pool, not so excited about that aspect.

Edit: 3" thick pavers are almost the same price as concrete pavers? That's insane! On this coast they use 3omm/1.25" thick travertine pavers.

We have over 3,000 sq. ft. installed including 4 sets of stairs. Ours is not slippery. The lighter the color. The cooler it will be. We live in South Texas where we average 300 days of sunshine. Here are a couple of pictures.

Re: Travertine Paver deck & coping - need to make a decision ASAP! :S

Spool - I think we are taking 4' from the front of the pool to the grass/plantings as that is way more deck (or covered area) than we need. That would leave us with 6' in front of the pool.

Also, the layout in the hot tub is not accurate here, but the diagram with the proper pool doesn't have the right hardscaping. I never bothered getting it put together correctly!

- - - Updated - - -

martinkennedy - in theory we get 300 days of sun a year, however the past few years have been more like 325!

I love your pool and landscaping! Do you happen to remember the name of the color for the travertine you used for your deck and coping? Also, I'm having a hard time finding a stacked stone that works with everything we are putting together, do you happen to remember the name of the one you used?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just finished up a large travertine deck around my beach edge pool in January. It's already been in the hi 90's in Arizona and it is very cool on bare feet. The deck is tumbled pavers which are not sealed and not slippery at all. The travertine on the back wall started as tumbled 16x16 pavers that I honed and filled also sealed. They aren't too slippery but need re sealing about every 6-8 months. Travertine is pretty and worth the extra $$$ I think.
d6f102684ec4e119e2ebb7761dbe7b84.jpg
b16c19e41c96adb265c076f7c13b06c1.jpg

Re: Travertine Paver deck & coping - need to make a decision ASAP! :S

Spool - I think we are taking 4' from the front of the pool to the grass/plantings as that is way more deck (or covered area) than we need. That would leave us with 6' in front of the pool.

Would you still place lounge chairs at the front? I ask because my pool design is similar. I plan to have lounge chairs at the front of the pool and currently have 8' of pool deck (no including coping). Wasn't sure if I need more space...

pool.jpg

Travertine Paver deck & coping - need to make a decision ASAP! :S

The name of the stone it's bark ledgestone, it's a natural stone. It comes in 8"x 24" panels which I had to cut on the tile saw into smaller sections make all the curves. But is really easy to work with. I got it from Monterrey tile $8.03 a panel. I was pretty lucky that the PB I worked with let me do all the stone and travertine myself. Figure I saved 6k total.
2b1dc3101c47d2b53cf4581da654d430.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.