Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Travertine Paver deck & coping - need to make a decision ASAP! :S

1. Back To Top    #1

Travertine Paver deck & coping - need to make a decision ASAP! :S

We are starting our pool build this week and I'm still in a complete state of indecision when it comes to what to do for my pool deck.

First a few things, I live in a very hot area within the San Francisco Bay area with a long pool season, and I will be installing 1,800 sq ft of decking, including a 600 sq ft covered patio area.

I need to make by a decision on the decking material by Monday, and I'm completely overwhelmed. I love the look of Travertine, and I can get it for an excellent price so it is only about $1.25 more a sq ft than some of the higher quality concrete pavers. My concern is, will it be too slippery? We have a 2 year old, and there will be toddler/preschool age children around the pool for many years to come, so enforcing a "no running" policy will be challenging.

There are many old posts on here with people saying their travertine is not at all slippery, yet there are others stating that they think it is very slippery, which leaves me very confused.

Can anyone with a travertine deck provide me with some insight?

I would most likely be using the tumbled Mocha Jura paver from Bedrosians in a french pattern http://www.bedrosians.com/products/TRVMOCJUR1624T

Thank-you!

Screen Shot 2015-04-07 at 3.46.09 PM.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Travertine Paver deck & coping - need to make a decision ASAP! :S

At least for the tumbled white/ivory color from Turkey that I just had installed last month it is not slippery at all, and it does not get hot in the sun! Love the product, love the look.

On the other hand, thinking about spending $$$ every other year to seal it because I went with a salt water pool, not so excited about that aspect.

Edit: 3" thick pavers are almost the same price as concrete pavers? That's insane! On this coast they use 3omm/1.25" thick travertine pavers.
    17k gal, Florida Gem "Double Sky Blue", 11018 Intelliflow VS, Hayward C1750, Autopilot Nano+ SWG, Rheem 6350ti 117kbtu hp, Hayward Colorlogic light (12v)

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the quick reply! I really appreciate it.

Your travertine looks fantastic, it actually makes me reconsider my choice and wonder if I shouldn't have something lighter myself!

4. Back To Top    #4

The pavers are 3cm thick, which it says in the title/name of the tile on that site. Oddly, the thickness is wrong on all of Bedrosians pavers as it lists the measurement in metric with the imperial symbols.

5. Back To Top    #5

We have over 3,000 sq. ft. installed including 4 sets of stairs. Ours is not slippery. The lighter the color. The cooler it will be. We live in South Texas where we average 300 days of sunshine. Here are a couple of pictures.

6. Back To Top    #6

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a 6yo son and the travertine is not an issue. You will nee to seal/ reseal every other year or so, depending on how it is sealed. Love the travertine.

COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

8. Back To Top    #8

Can you post a higher resolution image of your plan? I'm curious what the measurements for your pool deck are.
    2015 Pool Build --> HERE IG 19'x47' w/ 7'x7' in pool spa; 3'6"-8' deep.
    Pentair 520 Filter, IntelliFlow VS XF Pump, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite/GloBrite LEDs, IntelliTouch w/Screenlogic2. 400K BTU heater. A&A G4V in-floor cleaning system. WetEdge Prism Matrix Pebble finish. TechoBloc Pavers and Coping.
    Test kits - Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD, K-1766 Salt, SpeedStir

9. Back To Top    #9

10. Back To Top    #10

Spool - I think we are taking 4' from the front of the pool to the grass/plantings as that is way more deck (or covered area) than we need. That would leave us with 6' in front of the pool.

Also, the layout in the hot tub is not accurate here, but the diagram with the proper pool doesn't have the right hardscaping. I never bothered getting it put together correctly!

- - - Updated - - -

martinkennedy - in theory we get 300 days of sun a year, however the past few years have been more like 325!

I love your pool and landscaping! Do you happen to remember the name of the color for the travertine you used for your deck and coping? Also, I'm having a hard time finding a stacked stone that works with everything we are putting together, do you happen to remember the name of the one you used?

11. Back To Top    #11

We have a travertine called the andes collection on a patio and it is extremely slippery. My wife won't let me get a travertine for the pool deck because of that.
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks grotto guy! Is the travertine on your patio tumbled pavers?

13. Back To Top    #13

txnole - I love yours as well! What color is your travertine, and what is your stacked stone?

14. Back To Top    #14

I think it is tumbled but I'm not sure how to tell just by looking.
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

15. Back To Top    #15

I wonder what makes one slippery and another not? I was hoping it was having honed travertine, which is what many tiles are made out of (we have honed and filed travertine on an upstairs balcony).

16. Back To Top    #16

Just finished up a large travertine deck around my beach edge pool in January. It's already been in the hi 90's in Arizona and it is very cool on bare feet. The deck is tumbled pavers which are not sealed and not slippery at all. The travertine on the back wall started as tumbled 16x16 pavers that I honed and filled also sealed. They aren't too slippery but need re sealing about every 6-8 months. Travertine is pretty and worth the extra $$$ I think.
    7900 Gal custom built in ground beach edge pool
    Custom matched Montego Bay color mini pebble interior finish with abalone shell
    Pentair variable speed pump and cartridge filter
    4 main pool returns and 3 24" sheer descent water falls
    3 Pentair intellibrite led lights in the pool and 2 matching landscape lights

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
    Spool - I think we are taking 4' from the front of the pool to the grass/plantings as that is way more deck (or covered area) than we need. That would leave us with 6' in front of the pool.
    Would you still place lounge chairs at the front? I ask because my pool design is similar. I plan to have lounge chairs at the front of the pool and currently have 8' of pool deck (no including coping). Wasn't sure if I need more space...

pool.jpg
    2015 Pool Build --> HERE IG 19'x47' w/ 7'x7' in pool spa; 3'6"-8' deep.
    Pentair 520 Filter, IntelliFlow VS XF Pump, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite/GloBrite LEDs, IntelliTouch w/Screenlogic2. 400K BTU heater. A&A G4V in-floor cleaning system. WetEdge Prism Matrix Pebble finish. TechoBloc Pavers and Coping.
    Test kits - Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD, K-1766 Salt, SpeedStir

18. Back To Top    #18

Just look at all the replies you got already!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

19. Back To Top    #19

thank-you everyone! You have really helped put my mind at ease.

carpainterinaz - do you happen to know the name and brand of the stacked stone?

Spoil, we won't have the lounge chairs in front of the pool, just behind. I think you will have plenty of space!
    IG Gunite 18'x42', VS Pentair 3 HP pump, 2 skimmers, 4 returns, 2-1/2" suction, 2" returns, dual drains, autofill, travertine coping, wet edge Indigo, 525 sq.ft. filter, 400,000 btu gas heater, solar eclipse ultra violet w/ ozinator, clorinator, 6 therapy jets in spa, spa side controls, spillway on spa, 3 3' Led sheer descents waterfall features, hydraulic automatic safety cover with travertine lid, shamoo shelf.

20. Back To Top    #20

Travertine Paver deck & coping - need to make a decision ASAP! :S

The name of the stone it's bark ledgestone, it's a natural stone. It comes in 8"x 24" panels which I had to cut on the tile saw into smaller sections make all the curves. But is really easy to work with. I got it from Monterrey tile $8.03 a panel. I was pretty lucky that the PB I worked with let me do all the stone and travertine myself. Figure I saved 6k total.
    7900 Gal custom built in ground beach edge pool
    Custom matched Montego Bay color mini pebble interior finish with abalone shell
    Pentair variable speed pump and cartridge filter
    4 main pool returns and 3 24" sheer descent water falls
    3 Pentair intellibrite led lights in the pool and 2 matching landscape lights

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast